    immediately promote the BDC.

    How do you do the equavalent with Windows 2000 and recover
    the Active Directory?

    J R, Jan 12, 2004

  2. It failover of the fsmo roles is not automatic. It is changed by either
    demotion of the DC holding the role or the manual transfer of the role. In
    cases where the role holder is no longer available and will not be coming
    back online you can force another server to seize the roles.

    255504 Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
    Controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255504
    255690 HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User Interface
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255690

    --
    Richard McCall [MSFT]

    rights."

    Richard McCall [MSFT], Jan 12, 2004

  3. "J R" <> wrote in message
    > How do you recover if your Primary DC fails? If you have a
    > secondary DC how do you make it the Primary DC.
    >
    > I know in Windows NT 4.0 if the PDC fails you can
    > immediately promote the BDC.
    >
    > How do you do the equavalent with Windows 2000 and recover
    > the Active Directory?

    There is no concept of PDC and BDC in Active Directory. All DCs in a Domain
    are read-write peers
    The only case where this is not true is in the Operations Master roles which
    do exist on only one machine.
    See the online help about the FSMO's.

    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jan 12, 2004
  4. Hi-

    You need to seize any FSMO roles formerly on your now dead DC to your
    working DC. Review the following articles:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223787
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283595

    You will also need to cleanup your database and site topology then rebuild
    your failed DC and add it back to the domain (unless you decommission it
    permanently.)

    --
    Thanks,
    Richard Moreno

    rights.

    Richard Moreno, Jan 12, 2004
  5. J R

    JR Guest

    Basically I have a DC with the Active directory and
    Exchange 2000 on it. I also have another server acting as
    a second DC but with none of the server roles assigned. My
    question is what is the best way to recover the Active
    Directory and Exchange if I am going to re-install the OS
    on my original DC that was running the different roles and
    recover the Exchange data from tape backup? I am using
    Veritas Backup Exec with the Exchange Agent but without
    Disaster recovery.

    confers no

    JR, Jan 12, 2004
  6. If you have two DC's, just running dcpromo on the one with the fsmo roles
    will both demote it to server and also automatically transfer the roles to
    the other dc during the demotion process. This works very well, and as long
    as dns is working properly is not a problem, but you can of course also
    manually transfer them to the other dc prior to the first dc being demoted,
    removed from the domain, and then re-installed.
    When the server is brought back into the domain again and you install exch
    again, the database info can be restored from your tape, but for more
    specific steps on exactly how to do this, you might want to post a question
    on that in the Exchange newsgroup, as those folks will be monitoring that
    more there.

    --
    David Brandt
    Microsoft Corporation

    newsgroup purposes only.

    David Brandt [MSFT], Jan 12, 2004
  7. J R

    JR Guest

    Again the issue I'm trying to get a solution to is if the
    DC that is also responsible for the FSMO roles, and has
    Exchange install crashs how do I recover it. If I am going
    to re-install the OS on that server from scratch how do I
    recover the Active directory and the Roles??

    confers no rights.
    >Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This

    alias is for

    JR, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Hi JR-

    When you reinstall the OS you would add the machine to the domain as a
    member server. After rebooting you then would run DCPROMO. That will get AD
    and the database copied to the rebuilt DC. If you want to move your FSMO
    roles back to this rebuilt box, you would do a Transfer of FSMO roles using
    the GUIs (AD Users & Computers, AD Sites & Services, or AD Schema).

    --
    Thanks,
    Richard Moreno

    rights.

    Richard Moreno, Jan 13, 2004
  9. J R

    JR Guest

    Does the second DC have to be running DNS while the other
    DC is still functioning to be able to do the role transfer
    properly or does the process of transferring the roles
    also create the proper DNS information??

    confers no

    JR, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Hi-

    Yes, a fully functional DNS server\infrastructure must be operational for a
    smooth transfer of roles. Be it on the 2nd server or the rebuilt server it
    doesn't matter which as long as it is up and working.

    --
    Thanks,
    Richard Moreno

    rights.