    acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
    user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
    advance for any help.

    rcoburn, Mar 29, 2004

  2. That file is unlikely to be related - it's the result of a chkdsk. You might
    want to check out www.undelete.com to see if anything can be recovered - do
    it soon, before the disk has seen a lot of new use!

    In the future - always a good idea to do the following:

    --Redirect My Documents elsewhere - either the user's home directory, if
    you're on a network, or to a folder you create on the C drive. I always use
    C:\Data.
    --Never keep your Outlook PST file(s) in the default directory. With Outlook
    closed, search for the PST file (in hidden/system folders) and move it
    elsewhere, such as c:\data\outlook - and rename it username.pst to avoid
    confusion. When you reopen Outlook, direct it to the new location/file when
    it complains.

    Profiles often have problems, and this ensures that at least most of the
    stuff you care about won't be gone with the wind if a profile is corrupted
    or deleted.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 31, 2004

  3. rcoburn

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the tip. That's a really good idea on both
    the My Documents and Outlook file. I'll have to do that
    in the future.

    Guest, Mar 31, 2004
  4. No prob - it's on my "autopilot" list of things I do when I set up a
    workstation, as I hate the default settings. I don't even think about it
    anymore - my fingers just do it without my brain needing to be engaged!

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 31, 2004
  5. rcoburn

    Liron Guest

    Hello, I found this problem on google, I have the exact same problem
    Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, they're i
    a C:\ directory, weighing like 2GB, probably including all my e-mail
    there, which I REALLY need. Is there ANY way to fix it?

    I am using a different computer now, I don't want to write any othe
    data on my computer at home.

    Thank you so much.
    My e-mail is

    -
    Liro

    Liron, Nov 19, 2004
  6. rcoburn

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Liron.

    > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,

    Yes. And no.

    Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectly recognizable and
    readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and rename it back
    to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothing but
    "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program that you can't
    identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which might be a
    portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic, or a
    music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, or who knows
    what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, you MAY be
    able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are, though,
    that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at an unreasonable cost
    in time and/or money.

    It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of the files.
    Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to be somewhat
    less than 10% of the lost files.

    IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
    Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 19, 2004
  7. rcoburn

    Liron Guest

    R. C. White wrote:
    > *Hi, Liron.
    >
    > > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,

    > Yes. And no.
    >
    > Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectl
    > recognizable and
    > readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and renam
    > it back
    > to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothin
    > but
    > "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program tha
    > you can't
    > identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which migh
    > be a
    > portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic
    > or a
    > music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, o
    > who knows
    > what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, yo
    > MAY be
    > able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are
    > though,
    > that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at a
    > unreasonable cost
    > in time and/or money.
    >
    > It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of th
    > files.
    > Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to b
    > somewhat
    > less than 10% of the lost files.
    >
    > IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
    > Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > [/vbcol] *

    Thank you so much RC! That was extremely helpful as I think I can A
    LEAST try to recover my DBX files (which are the most important one
    anyway). Some CHK files were over 600MB so I'm assuming it's the DB
    files. So what I should do is basically rename those chk files to .db
    and see which ones work?

    Thank you again

    -
    Liro

    Liron, Nov 20, 2004
  8. rcoburn

    yep Guest

    rcoburn wrote:
    > *Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
    > folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
    > The user's profile was completely removed. It created a
    > new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
    > acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
    > user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
    > advance for any help. *

    I have had the same problem with the found.000 folder. My compute
    found a problem with my partition table and moved everything to th
    folder named folder.000. It keeped telling me I didn't have access t
    open the files and founder in it. They are not aways lost because
    was able to recover most everthing. I searched the internet an
    everyone told me that stuff was gone. I found out that most was stil
    there and in working order.

    Ok I found a way to recover if you are running XP PRO. turnoff simpl
    file sharing and take owership of the folder and all subdirectories.
    After that you should be able to copy the files to a place of you
    choice. I made sure I moved the files to another hard drive to avoi
    this again if my hard drive was ready to go or getting close to it!

    I don't know if this will help you but I did this and was able t
    recover most everything

    -
    ye

    yep, Dec 27, 2004
  9. rcoburn

    Techwanhabe Guest

    R. C. White wrote:
    > *Hi, Liron.
    >
    > > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,

    > Yes. And no.
    >
    > Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectly
    > recognizable and
    > readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and rename
    > it back
    > to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothing
    > but
    > "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program that
    > you can't
    > identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which might
    > be a
    > portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic,
    > or a
    > music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, or
    > who knows
    > what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, you
    > MAY be
    > able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are,
    > though,
    > that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at an
    > unreasonable cost
    > in time and/or money.
    >
    > It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of the
    > files.
    > Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to be
    > somewhat
    > less than 10% of the lost files.
    >
    > IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
    > Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Liron" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hello, I found this problem on google, I have the exact same

    > problem.
    > > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, they're

    > in
    > > a C:\ directory, weighing like 2GB, probably including all my

    > e-mails
    > > there, which I REALLY need. Is there ANY way to fix it?
    > >
    > > I am using a different computer now, I don't want to write any

    > other
    > > data on my computer at home.
    > >
    > > Thank you so much.
    > > My e-mail is
    > >

    > > --
    > > Liron *

    I just finished using Spinrite on an unaccessible laptop HD. I
    installed it as a slave and was able to access the drive. It created a
    found.000 folder. I did a search on that drive for *.pst and was able
    to save it and any other file I searched for by extension. You could
    manually search through the found.000 folder if you wish.

    --
    Techwanhabe

    Techwanhabe, Jun 14, 2005