Recent WindowsUpdate fixes broke W2K AS.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server' started by Guest, Jul 13, 2005.

    Hi,

    A few days ago WindowsUpdate installed several fixes and my nightmare had
    started. I kept getting BSODs until I tried Last Good Known Config. As a
    former MS technical tester and long-time system developer I tried to recover
    my knowledge to figure out possible crash reasons. However, the error message
    gives no clue:

    0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x00000001, 0x00000000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, in ntosktnl.dll

    Looks like the problem is inside the kernel, not even any driver. Once I get
    a message of a fault in HAL and the another time there was something with a
    "device connection timeout" or whatever.

    I should say Last Good Known Config hasn't fully cuved my system - it still
    crashes sometimes. Without the LGNC system dumps at the system boot screen in
    normal mode but goes thru just fine in Safe Mode.

    Your assistance would be appreciated.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2005

    Tried to load old (pre-last known good) hardware profile and saw another one:
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Got back to Last Known and it works... still
    works.

    Curious what's wrong hides inside the recent WindowsUpdate patches...

    Guest, Jul 13, 2005