    sequence, igonring the numbered order. I believe that I need to change the
    basic file name, but no idea how to do it. Can someone tell me if it is not
    only feasible, but, practically speaking, doable.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006

    John Inzer Guest

    Paddler wrote:
    > I use My pictures to keep photos in folders. I use Adobe
    > Elements to edit photos and create slide shows. I will
    > rearrange photos in a folder, and rename the folder so
    > that each photo is numbered in the way I want it to
    > appear. As an example I want a photo taken on May 1 to
    > appear after one taken on June 1, I drag and drop them
    > into the order I want, and renumber them. But, when I
    > open the file in Adobe, it puts them back in the original
    > sequence, igonring the numbered order. I believe that I
    > need to change the basic file name, but no idea how to do
    > it. Can someone tell me if it is not only feasible, but,
    > practically speaking, doable.

    =============================
    First try the following:

    For a numbering system that should be
    universal...try renaming your files this way:

    Kelly,Sara,Heather0001.jpg
    Kelly,Sara,Heather0002.jpg

    If the file names are different...you can
    still sort by number if you place the number
    first.

    0001Kelly,Sara,Heather.jpg
    0002Mary,Betty,Brenda.jpg

    When you go to two or three digits...remove
    the equal number of zeros.

    If you're going above 999, add an additional
    zero to each file.

    You can add a space between the letters
    and numbers if you wish and also you can
    use parenthesis.

    (0001) Kelly,Sara,Heather.jpg
    (0002) Kelly,Sara,Heather.jpg

    ================================
    Now have a look at this tutorial by Yves.
    ================================

    Actually, batch renaming is quite simple
    in Windows XP...the following info from
    MVP Yves Alarie may be useful to you:

    "Using XP to organize your folders and
    your photos within folders"

    1. How to organize your photo
    folders so you can find them.
    (03-27-05)

    2. How to make a collection of
    photos from different folders
    (or just within a folder) so you can
    place the photos in the order you want
    and they will stay in this order when
    you open the folder again for a slide
    show or copy to a CD.

    ===

    1. How to organize your photo folders.

    You should make new folders on your
    drive for each group of pictures, or
    make new folders under My Pictures
    folder, one folder for each group of
    pictures. Either way will work. Now, how
    do you name the folders?

    Remember that XP will list (or sort)
    folder names by numerical/alphabetical
    order.

    So the folder 2004_Vacation will be
    listed before the folder Vacation. You
    can take advantage of this. What do you
    remember about a photo folder when you
    search for it? A name or a date? It is a
    lot easier to find photo folders when
    they have both a date and a name, but
    easier when the folders are listed
    by name of event. So, the listing of
    your folders should be: year, month (and
    day if you wish, but be consistent, if
    you want the day enter the day for all
    folders) followed by the event name.
    These should be separated by underline
    so it is easy to read on your screen. So
    you should name folders something like
    this:

    2003_12_25_Christmas

    2004_12_25_Christmas

    2003_04_07_Easter

    2004_04_17_Easter

    XP will list the folders in this order:

    2003_04_07_Easter

    2003_12_25_Christmas

    2004_04_17_Easter

    2004_12_25_Christmas

    You can see what is happening. Your
    folders will be listed by year, month
    and day and then the event name. This
    makes it easy to find them. You can use
    some other system, but use one to list
    with a particular order other than name
    of event alone. Otherwise you will have
    a messy listing of folder names. If your
    folders are not properly organized,
    right click on a folder name and click
    on rename on the opening menu. Then
    change the name using the above system
    or a system you want.

    2. How to organize a collection of
    photos in a folder, in the order you
    want the photos to be displayed for a
    slide show. This will include renaming
    the photos from the original name
    assigned by your camera.

    Make a new folder on your hard drive.
    You can also make a new folder under "My
    Pictures" if you prefer. Both will work.

    Name the new folder something easy to
    remember and search for: year, month,
    day, event, separated by underline. For
    example:

    2004_09_16_Summer Vacations

    Copy the photos you want to place in a
    particular order into this new folder.
    You can copy photos to this new folder
    from a single folder (first and simplest
    thing to do) or from any photo folder
    you have to make a new collection. If
    you are making a collection, use a
    collection name, and the date you are
    making it, something like:

    2004_11_19_My Collection of Summer
    Photos

    (this is a little more complicated but
    will also be explained below).

    Once the photos are copied in this new
    folder, open the new folder. Hold the
    Ctrl key down and press the letter A.
    This will select (highlight in blue) all
    the files in the folder.

    Right click on the first file (important
    to right click on the first file because
    renaming will start from there).

    Click on Rename on the opening menu.

    Type in the name you want, to replace
    the current name of the first file.

    Any system will work, such as year,
    month, day, event. For example type in:

    2003_09_16 Virginia Beach Vacation
    (101).jpg...and press Enter.

    XP will automatically rename all the
    files in this folder:

    2003_09_16 Virginia Beach (101),
    (102), (103), etc. and they will open
    (sorted or listed) in the order (101),
    (102), (103), etc. If you copy them to
    a CD, this order will be maintained.

    Two important things when renaming
    using the above method.

    1. Look at the name of the above file,
    you must include a space between the
    last character of the file name and
    (101)

    2. When you rename, don't forget to
    add .jpg after (101). If you forget, XP
    will warn you (window will open telling
    you the file type is being changed,
    answer NO) and enter .jpg after this
    warning. If you don't, you will not be
    able to open the file. If you still do
    not enter .jpg after the warning, don't
    worry. Rename again and enter .jpg

    You can rename any time and as many
    times as you want. You are not dependent
    on the camera wizard to rename.

    You can rename groups of files in a
    folder (in the example above, the date
    can be 16, 17, 18, etc for each day of
    your vacation) just select the group of
    files you want and right click on the
    first one in the group and rename from
    there. For each group you select, just
    add (101) after the name you want for
    the first file in the each group. So,
    you can rename as you want:

    2003_09_16 Virginia Beach Vacation
    (101).jpg for all photos taken on
    the16th.

    2003_09_17 Virginia Beach Vacation
    (101).jpg for all photos taken on
    the 17th...etc,

    You simply select all the photos taken
    on the 16th and rename, etc.

    You can do even better than this.
    Suppose you want a slide show and you
    want the last three pictures taken on
    your vacation to be the first three or
    in between some other photos, or
    re-order the photos in a folder in any
    way.

    Easy to do. Open the folder in thumbnail
    view, use your mouse to place the
    thumbnails in the order you want. Select
    all the photos and rename starting from
    the first picture adding (101) to the
    name you want for the first picture. The
    (101), (102), (103), etc will be added
    automatically in the order you placed
    the thumbnails. They will stay in this
    order in your folder and if you copy to
    a CD because XP lists (or sorts) by file
    name only on a CD.

    In this case, you can omit the day and
    the first file would be:

    2003_09_Virginia Beach Vacation
    (101).jpg

    If you copied many pictures from
    different folders in this new folder and
    all you want is to order them in
    chronological order, moving thumbnails
    in the correct order is tedious. Let XP
    do this for you. Change the View from
    Thumbnails to Details. In the Details
    view, right click on the column header
    "Name". This will open a list. Click on
    More at the bottom of the list. A list
    will open, check the box "Date Picture
    Taken". This will add the column Date
    Picture Taken in the Details view. Then
    you click on the column header "Date
    Picture taken" and XP will now change
    the list of files (the order of the
    listed files) from the name of the files
    (the default) to listing files in
    chronological order. Now, change the
    View to Thumbnails and they are in
    chronological order. Select them, rename
    them using the above procedure and you
    are in business. There is also another
    way to do this.

    When in Thumbnails view, click on View
    on the top bar, then Arrange Icons by on
    the drop menu and then select Picture
    Taken On. The thumbnails are now in
    chronological order. This is fine if all
    the photos are of the same year since XP
    list the order by MM/DD/YYYY as the
    default. If you have multiple years,
    change the default to YYYY/MM/DD using
    Control Panel, Date,Time options.

    Convenient if you want to make a slide
    show of pictures from different folders.
    Just make a new folder, copy the photos
    you want in the new folder, place the
    thumbnails in the order you want and
    rename.

    You are not restricted to only one name
    (you use one name for one group of
    picture, another for the next group,
    etc. and this also avoid making
    subfolders to separate pictures from the
    same event) and you can control the
    order in which each group will open, by
    placing a number up front of the file
    name for each group. You may have photos
    of Christmas, Easter, New Year etc. and
    of different years and you want them all
    together in the same folder for a big
    slide show or save them on a CD to send
    to friends. Make a new folder, copy them
    to the new folder. Then, place the
    thumbnails in the order you want, select
    the first group, right click on the
    first thumbnail in the group and rename:

    1_2002 Easter (101).jpg

    Then select the second group and rename

    2_2002 Christmas (101).jpg

    Placing 1_, 2_, etc in front will
    control the order of each group and
    (101) controls the order within each
    group.

    If you want to add another group later
    and you want the photos of this group to
    be, say between 1_ and 2_, use 1a_ in
    front of the file name.

    In the above example, after you make the
    new folder for your collection, copy
    your Easter photos in it and rename
    them. Then copy your Christmas photos in
    it and rename them. Then copy the next
    group in it and rename them. Easier to
    do it this way than copying all of them
    and then renaming.

    Also, after you copy a group, you can
    move the thumbnails to change the order
    before renaming.

    You may also want to add some more
    photos in a particular group at a later
    time, say your Christmas group. No
    problem. Copy the files you want to add
    in the folder, move the thumbnails in
    the group you want to add them to, where
    you want them. Select all the thumbnails
    in the group, right click on the first
    one and rename. When you rename, you
    must change the name in order for rename
    to take place. Add something like XYZ
    after Christmas. Once renaming is done,
    select the same files again and rename
    again. Remove the XYZ and you will be
    back to the original name.

    Note: There is a disadvantage to
    changing the original name of files.
    This is why I recommend at the start to
    make a new folder and copy your original
    files in the new folder before renaming.
    The disadvantage is this. Many have the
    option of video out from the camera to
    display the pictures from the memory
    card in your camera to a TV for a slide
    show. If you change the file names and
    copy the files back to your memory card
    to display on your TV (or even to just
    look at them on the LCD of the camera)
    your camera may not be able to read the
    files. You can always rename, using the
    same format (8 characters) that your
    camera uses, but now you will have to
    rename each file and this is tedious.
    So, be careful what you do with your
    original files.

    There is a second disadvantage. The
    above naming system in an XP system. As
    long as you are on XP everything will be
    displayed properly with this naming
    system. However, if you go out of XP,
    the display order is unlikely to be the
    same. Particularly true if you want to
    play a CD on your DVD player.

    Your DVD player will read files on your
    CD differently and will want them in the
    order 001,002,003, etc. rather than with
    the above system. It wants files listed
    like:

    Image 001.jpg
    Image 002.jpg
    Etc. to display them in the proper
    order. Since you now have your files in
    the order you want in a folder, rename
    again if you want to copy them to a CD
    and play this CD in a DVD player. Easy
    to do. Download the free software from
    here:

    www.irfanview.com

    Once installed, open it and click on
    File and Batch conversion/renaming.

    Select the files to rename, select the
    same folder for the new names.

    Irfanview will not delete the file names
    you made with XP. It will add new file
    names in the same folder (or you can
    make a new folder). You select a single
    new name for all the files and 001, 002,
    003, etc will be added automatically.
    Open the folder and you will see the
    added files. You now copy these files to
    a CD. Then you just delete these files.
    Select them, hold the Shift key down and
    press the Delete key. They are removed
    and will not go to the Recycle bin if
    you hold the Shift key down when
    pressing the Delete key. You will
    encounter the same problem if you upload
    your photos to a server on the Internet
    and you are using the XP naming system.
    The order will not be displayed
    properly. You need to use the Image
    001.jpg etc system. So, again, once you
    have your photos in the order you want
    them and you renamed using XP, simply
    use irfanview to change the name and
    upload these files as when preparing
    them to copy to a CD for display via a
    DVD player.

    Note: Although I recommend making a new
    folder and copying your files there
    before renaming, there is also another
    way to do this and you may prefer it
    once you are comfortable with renaming.
    Here is how to do it.

    Open the folder to see your files. Hold
    the Ctrl key down and press the letter A
    to select (highlight in blue) all the
    files. Hold the Ctrl key down and press
    the letter C. This makes a copy of all
    the files to your clipboard. Hold the
    Ctrl key down and press the letter V.

    This copies (pastes) all the files back
    in your folder. The file names will be
    the same, but the words "Copy of"
    will be in front of the file names. You
    then rename Copy of files.

    This way your original files and renamed
    files are in the same folder.

    This is also very useful when you want
    to edit photos with software. You always
    edit "Copy of", never edit your original
    file.

    All this renaming may seem a little
    complicated at first, but you can really
    manipulate things very well by just
    sitting down and understanding the
    system. With a little practice you can
    get what you want.

    However, before renaming, make sure you
    make a new folder and copy some photo
    files there so you can practice with no
    danger to your original files.

    After you are comfortable with this,
    once you download the files from your
    camera in a folder you can skip copying
    them into another folder and you just
    rename the files.

    Once your photos are arranged with
    folder names in chronological order, you
    can use the free Picasa 2 from
    www.picasa.com This will scan your hard
    drive for all your photos. After this,
    when you open Picasa only your photo
    folders will be listed and all the
    thumbnails in all your folders will be
    displayed. A lot easier to work with
    than from Explorer or My Computer
    listing.

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! MVP

    Digital Image
    Highlights and FAQs
    http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

    Making Good Newsgroup Posts
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    John Inzer, Jun 4, 2006

    Hello guys,

    Strongly recommend a good coagent - Wondershare PixManager. It helps
    you browse, edit, organize your digital photos. And it is FREE.

    More details, http://www.photo2vcd.com/free-photo-manager.html

    Enjoy.

    Paddler wrote:
    > I use My pictures to keep photos in folders. I use Adobe Elements to edit
    > photos and create slide shows. I will rearrange photos in a folder, and
    > rename the folder so that each photo is numbered in the way I want it to
    > appear. As an example I want a photo taken on May 1 to appear after one
    > taken on June 1, I drag and drop them into the order I want, and renumber
    > them. But, when I open the file in Adobe, it puts them back in the original
    > sequence, igonring the numbered order. I believe that I need to change the
    > basic file name, but no idea how to do it. Can someone tell me if it is not
    > only feasible, but, practically speaking, doable.

    , Jun 7, 2006