    Any suggestions gratefully received.

    Thanks!

    Ray

    Guest, May 22, 2006

    Nepatsfan Guest

    ,
    Ray <> wrote:
    > I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to
    > copy files from an old XP Home machine: I've installed the
    > old drive as a slave in the new machine to do this but I
    > keep getting read-only attributes notation and when I change
    > attributes I get " access denied".
    > I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP
    > Home machines. Any suggestions gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ray

    You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
    for
    the procedure:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Nepatsfan, May 22, 2006

    Nepatsfan,

    Thanks for your suggestion - I'm just about to try it out. Will let you know.
    Thanks.

    Ray

    Guest, May 22, 2006

    Well done, Nepatsfan: that sorted it. Thanks, you are a star.
    Now I have one further problem. I am able to copy programs from old drive to
    new but I cannot get them to run. In most cases I have the original disks, so
    that won't be a problem and the main thing was to be able to copy Word, Excel
    files etc. But, for instance, I had 2 programs given free with the scanner
    and which I used frequently. I cannot find original disks and the programs
    just sit in Program Files and I can't get them to install or run.
    Is there any hope for me here?

    Thanks

    Ray

    Guest, May 22, 2006

    Nepatsfan Guest

    Glad to hear you were able to recover your files.

    Short of reinstalling the programs on the new computer, I'm
    unaware of any method to successfully transfer programs from
    one computer to another.

    You might want to post this question on the XP General
    newsgroup to see if anyone there knows whether it's possible.

    Nepatsfan

    ,

    Nepatsfan, May 22, 2006

    nepatsfan,

    Thanks again for your help. I'll follow your advice.

    Ray

    Guest, May 23, 2006