Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Performance' started by John Barnett MVP, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Acronis True Image Home 10 is my choice of backup. The backup application in
    Vista deosn't have any compressions, so if you have 30GB of data, programs,
    operating system etc, and you come to backup with the Vista complete PC
    Backup application, then you need 30GB of space (or whatever amount of space
    you are currently using)
    I dual boot windows XP and Vista, in order to use Vista's Complete PC Backup
    it needs to backup 'both' drives - this is because Vista places certain
    files on the C: drive (windows XP) and cannot perform without them, so i'm
    not backing up one drive. If you don't have enough disk space, then you may
    be looking at 5 or 6 DVDs to backup. The DVD supply is not the problem, it
    is the time it takes to burn them.
    While Vista's backup application may be useful, third party applications
    will certainly give you more control. There is a big difference between
    backing up 30GB with Aconis (which can reduce the backup size to 17GB or
    less depending upon compression) and Vista's backup which needs the full
    30GB.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert