Re: Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Print / Fax / Scan' started by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 7, 2009.

  1. At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
    Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 7, 2009

  2. Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
    problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
    Spell out the details here, please.

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 8, 2009

  3. Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
    You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
    repro.

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 8, 2009
  4. I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
    run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
    level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
    of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 23, 2009
  5. Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
    Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
    at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
    Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
    can handle.
    I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
    one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
    Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
    service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
    app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
    Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
    correctly in this profile.

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 24, 2009
  6. Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a PAB,
    are you?

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 26, 2009
  7. Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
    find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
    to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 26, 2009
  8. That's not a solution at all. That's the very first thing we did, and always
    is. It hasn't worked for Drew.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 27, 2009
  9. Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

    DL Guest

    Somewhat odd since Outlook contacts are in the same file in either version
    of win.

    DL, Mar 4, 2010
  10. Are you certain the Outlook Address Book Service was configured correctly on
    the x64 machines? Since that requires the 32 bit Mail applet, it may not
    have been.
    You didn't quote the beginning of the thread so your post is a bit hard to
    follow.
    --
    Russ Valentine

    Russ Valentine, Mar 4, 2010
  11. Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

    killerb255

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Positive.

    Yes, I'm aware of the Mail applet being in "View 32-bit Control Panel Icons" in XP and Vista x64 and "Mail (32-bit)" in Windows 7 x64.

    OAB contacts show up when composing e-mail and clicking either the "To," "CC" or "BCC" buttons in both the x86 and x64 VMs.

    If it wasn't configured correctly, they wouldn't show up.

    Like I said, both setups were (actually "are") identical...I have the VMs on my company PC set up with my Outlook user account. Only four things are different about them:

    1) Their computer name (obviously)
    2) Their IP address(es) (v4 and v6) (again, obviously) pulled from DHCP
    3) Their CPU architecture (x86 and x64).
    4) The fact that WF&S can see Outlook contacts on the x86 VM and not the x64 VM.

    killerb255, Mar 5, 2010
  12. Since you still haven't quoted the thread so we know what the actual problem
    is, I'm not going to spend any time on this.
    --
    Russ Valentine

    Russ Valentine, Mar 17, 2010
  13. Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

    killerb255

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is this better?

    Was looking at the beginning of the thread not good enough?

    The problem is what Drew Edmundson wrote in the message below. Several others have had this problem, and I was simply reproducing it...

    >I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
    > Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
    > the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
    > installed.
    >
    > Unsuccesful steps I have tried.
    >
    > I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
    > and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
    > premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
    > when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
    > account and added it back.
    >
    > When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
    > with fax numbers are listed.
    >
    > What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
    > have never used Windows Mail on this PC.
    >
    > TIA for your assistance.
    >
    > Drew
    [/QUOTE]

    killerb255, Mar 19, 2010
  14. Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

    killerb255 Guest

    I apologize...I posted my reply to the original thread in another forum,
    which, of course, is crossposted all over the place.

    The best way to describe the problem is here:

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arc...and-scan-quot-with-outlook-2007-contacts.aspx

    ....and here:

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...c/thread/10ef1e6a-cbfe-407c-a5e1-487e0c4405be

    killerb255, May 12, 2010
  15. Ah. I see.
    Yes. I can confirm that the problem will never be fixed. Outlook stopped
    supporting integration with the fax module after Outlook 2003.
    --
    Russ Valentine

    Russ Valentine, May 12, 2010
  16. Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

    killerb255 Guest

    If that's the official word, then it looks like we will probably have to
    nudge our clients toward using Fax Mail Transport within Outlook itself if
    they want Outlook Address Book integration in x64 (and not use Outlook 2010
    x64, as it doesn't have Fax Mail Transport yet).

    So, in a nutshell, the following fax options are available on the following
    operating systems:

    Legend:
    1: Native NT5 fax client with Windows Address Book
    2: Native NT5 fax client with Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010 Address Book (if
    Outlook is installed)
    3: Windows Fax and Scan with Windows Contacts
    4: Windows Fax and Scan with Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010 Address Book (if
    Outlook is installed)
    5: Fax Mail Transport (Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010)

    Operating Systems: Fax Options Available

    Windows XP Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC x86: Options 1, 2,
    and 5 above
    Windows XP x64: Options 1 and 5
    Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium x86 and x64: Option 5 only
    Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate x86: Options 3, 4, and 5
    Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate x64: Options 3 and 5
    Windows 7 Starter and Home Premium x86 and x64: Option 5 only
    Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate x86: Options 3, 4, and 5
    Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate x64: Options 3 and 5

    Is that about right?

    killerb255, May 18, 2010
  17. Looks right to me. As a rule, the Fax Module will use whatever address book
    service the user has selected as the default for the operating system.
    Microsoft stopped any development of fax integration with Outlook 2003 and
    no longer support it. Users still have the ability to add the Fax Mail
    Transport on their own to Outlook if they want. It was easier to leave the
    code that permits doing so than to remove it from versions after 2003.
    --
    Russ Valentine

    Russ Valentine, May 18, 2010