Re: Why Does Windows Explorer Need To Access The Internet?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by smlunatick, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. smlunatick

    smlunatick Guest

    Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
    program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
    check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:

    -- Valid license
    -- Automatic Windows updates
    -- Revised Defender updates

    smlunatick, Jan 3, 2007

  2. smlunatick

    Guest Guest

    Hi smlunatick:

    Thank you for your response.

    I understand that Internet Explorer and Windows XP need to access the
    Internet for many reasons -- including those which you provided.

    I do not understand why Windows Explorer would need to verify a license,
    check for updates at Microsoft Update, or check for Defender updates.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that Defender checks for its own updates and
    the operating system checks for updates based on the registry information
    added when signing up for automatic updates. Checking for a valid license
    makes sense if one is trying to download an updated version of software or
    download new software offered by Microsoft.

    Why would Windows Explorer need to get involved in checking for updates to
    Defender (or any other updates)?

    If my system is not connected to the Internet, and I use Windows Explorer
    for file management, what is it specifically that Windows Explorer is unable
    to do? And if the answer to this question is: "Nothing at all", then why is
    Windows Explorer trying to access the Internet?

    ~ Mark

    Guest, Jan 23, 2007

  3. smlunatick

    norm Guest

    Mark M Morse wrote:
    > Hi smlunatick:
    >
    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > I understand that Internet Explorer and Windows XP need to access the
    > Internet for many reasons -- including those which you provided.
    >
    > I do not understand why Windows Explorer would need to verify a license,
    > check for updates at Microsoft Update, or check for Defender updates.
    >
    > I may be wrong, but I believe that Defender checks for its own updates and
    > the operating system checks for updates based on the registry information
    > added when signing up for automatic updates. Checking for a valid license
    > makes sense if one is trying to download an updated version of software or
    > download new software offered by Microsoft.
    >
    > Why would Windows Explorer need to get involved in checking for updates to
    > Defender (or any other updates)?
    >
    > If my system is not connected to the Internet, and I use Windows Explorer
    > for file management, what is it specifically that Windows Explorer is unable
    > to do? And if the answer to this question is: "Nothing at all", then why is
    > Windows Explorer trying to access the Internet?
    >
    > ~ Mark
    >

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    >
    >> Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
    >> program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
    >> check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:
    >>
    >> -- Valid license
    >> -- Automatic Windows updates
    >> -- Revised Defender updates
    >>

    >> Mark M Morse wrote:
    >>> I have Windows XP Home Edition with all updates installed. I also use the
    >>> latest version of Windows Defender.
    >>>
    >>> About 15% of the time that I'm using Windows Explorer, a system tray balloon
    >>> from Windows Defender pops up telling me that Windows Explorer is trying to
    >>> access the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> Unless Windows Explorer is doing something other than displaying, opening,
    >>> or moving documents on my hard drive (because that's what I do with Windows
    >>> Explorer), I do not understand why it needs to connect to the Internet.

    By default, windows explorer runs in the same process as internet
    explorer, and therefore will behave like internet explorer. AFAIK,
    nothing is lost by not allowing it to connect. I have denied such
    connections for years with zone alarm. Someone else may happen along
    with more info.

    --
    norm

    norm, Jan 23, 2007
  4. smlunatick

    John John Guest

    norm wrote:

    > Mark M Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Hi smlunatick:
    >>
    >> Thank you for your response.
    >>
    >> I understand that Internet Explorer and Windows XP need to access the
    >> Internet for many reasons -- including those which you provided.
    >>
    >> I do not understand why Windows Explorer would need to verify a
    >> license, check for updates at Microsoft Update, or check for Defender
    >> updates.
    >>
    >> I may be wrong, but I believe that Defender checks for its own updates
    >> and the operating system checks for updates based on the registry
    >> information added when signing up for automatic updates. Checking for
    >> a valid license makes sense if one is trying to download an updated
    >> version of software or download new software offered by Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Why would Windows Explorer need to get involved in checking for
    >> updates to Defender (or any other updates)?
    >>
    >> If my system is not connected to the Internet, and I use Windows
    >> Explorer for file management, what is it specifically that Windows
    >> Explorer is unable to do? And if the answer to this question is:
    >> "Nothing at all", then why is Windows Explorer trying to access the
    >> Internet?
    >>
    >> ~ Mark
    >>

    >> "smlunatick" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
    >>> program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
    >>> check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:
    >>>
    >>> -- Valid license
    >>> -- Automatic Windows updates
    >>> -- Revised Defender updates

    > By default, windows explorer runs in the same process as internet
    > explorer, and therefore will behave like internet explorer. AFAIK,
    > nothing is lost by not allowing it to connect. I have denied such
    > connections for years with zone alarm. Someone else may happen along
    > with more info.

    http://tinyurl.com/2p48tc

    John

    John John, Jan 23, 2007