Re: Which big Vizio HDTVs for computer usage and watching TV, movies, fullscreen videos, etc.?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by (PeteCresswell), Jun 12, 2012.

  1. Per Ant:

    >It has to be Vizio due to special deals/discounts hence why I asked.

    I've got a Vizio - chosen mainly bco price.

    If your anticipated TV is going to do PIP, one thing to consider
    is whether you need the TV to remember it's last state when you
    turn it on. e.g. If I'm running split screen with my DVR in the
    foreground and turn the TV off, when it turns on again I want it
    tb running split screen with the DVR in the foreground.

    Mine does not do that and I find it enough of a nuisance that I
    would not buy another Vizio unless I found that problem fixed.

    Also lacking in Vizio's PIP mode is equal access to inputs. One
    PIP can get to various other devices besides the tuner but the
    other cannot. Another deal-breaker for me. Heaven forbid
    somebody should want to play their DVR in one PIP and a VHS in
    the other.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 12, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Jim Wilkins Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Also lacking in Vizio's PIP mode is equal access to inputs. One
    > PIP can get to various other devices besides the tuner but the
    > other cannot. Another deal-breaker for me. Heaven forbid
    > somebody should want to play their DVR in one PIP and a VHS in
    > the other.
    > --
    > Pete Cresswell

    My workaround is to check other channels on the old TV + converter
    box.

    jsw

    Jim Wilkins, Jun 12, 2012
  3. Per Jim Wilkins:

    >My workaround is to check other channels on the old TV + converter
    >box.

    I thought about a second, small TV as a substitute for PIP, but
    PIP and being able to swap screens is soooooo convenient.

    Other people I talk to don't even know what PIP is and, once I
    explain it, they can't figure out why anybody would ever want it.

    Probably an overlap there with people who tolerate commercials
    better than I do.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 13, 2012
  4. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Per Jim Wilkins:
    >>
    >>My workaround is to check other channels on the old TV + converter
    >>box.

    > I thought about a second, small TV as a substitute for PIP, but
    > PIP and being able to swap screens is soooooo convenient.
    >
    > Other people I talk to don't even know what PIP is and, once I
    > explain it, they can't figure out why anybody would ever want it.
    >
    > Probably an overlap there with people who tolerate commercials
    > better than I do.
    > --
    > Pete Cresswell

    Friends,

    PIP is grossly overrated for average viewers, like my wife and me. From
    1995, when we bought our super-duper (at that time) 35" big screen Sony with
    PIP, we always had the cable box output A/V on one input set and the raw
    cable (Ch 2 - Ch 75) on the other. PIP always worked easily and perfectly
    but we rarely used it. I will guess we invoked it once every two years for
    some obscure function. We could always record whatever we were waiting for,
    so whatever it was, we didn't need it real-time.

    About two years ago, we replaced that set with a new one, HD this time. It
    has PIP and I have no idea how to get to it, despite having an engineering
    degree. It's not ignorance on my part ... it's a matter of not caring, not
    needing, not wanting, etc. Dig it?

    In all sincerity, I believe anyone who hangs his hat on a gimmick like PIP
    is wasting time, money, energy, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.

    Bless you,
    "Sal"

    Sal M. O'Nella, Jun 13, 2012
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    > ...>
    > Probably an overlap there with people who tolerate commercials
    > better than I do.
    > Pete Cresswell

    Personal preference.

    I have the laptop's large external monitor beside the Vizio TV and
    browse or post during commercials and boring dialog. That's why my
    posts are sometimes poorly worded.

    It's a very handy arrangement for doing taxes etc because the Vizio is
    big and sharp enough to show two full pages of the .pdf instructions.

    I really like having separate monitors for the application and the
    operating system, or the application's control panel. The operating
    system monitor can be smaller but it should be the primary one so you
    don't lose control of the computer if the larger one isn't configured
    right when you boot. I can switch the Vizio from HDMI to TV while its
    computer is on, but it isn't always recognized when I switch back so I
    have to shut off the PC by holding the power button down.

    jsw

    Jim Wilkins, Jun 13, 2012
  6. Per Sal M. O'Nella:
    >PIP is grossly overrated for average viewers,

    Your assertion is supported by the sales people I've spoken with.

    My question was: "Why are such essential functions as PIP and
    dual tuners missing from all but the highest-end TVs?"

    The answers boiled down to: "So few people want them that it's
    not worthwhile."

    Diff'rn't strokes, I guess. For me, PIP boils down to
    commercial avoidance while watching the few shows that I actually
    watch in real time. ABC Evening News in one pane, DVR'd PBS
    News Hour in the other. Commercial comes on ABC, flip to PBS
    and hit Resume. Commercial ends on ABC, Pause PBS and flip back
    to ABC.

    I consider commercials tb a significant form of mind pollution -
    and, having limited grey matter to begin with, I try to avoid
    that.

    And don't even get me started on *political* commercials... I
    think the country would be significantly better off if
    entertainers like Jay Leno would start making fun of people who
    actually view those things.

    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 13, 2012
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    J G Miller Guest

    On Wednesday, June 13th, 2012, at 09:16:13h -0400, Pete Cresswell wrote:

    > And don't even get me started on *political* commercials...

    They may have bad content, but I would suggest that particularly
    in times of economic recession, they are vital to keeping some
    commercial TV stations afloat.

    J G Miller, Jun 13, 2012
  8. Per J G Miller:
    >> And don't even get me started on *political* commercials...

    >They may have bad content, but I would suggest that particularly
    >in times of economic recession, they are vital to keeping some
    >commercial TV stations afloat.

    Just last nite, I was wondering about the future of TV in
    general.

    Judging by the increased frequency/length of it's fund raising
    efforts, Philadelphia's PBS seems tb on it's last legs.

    Commercial TV, AFIK, is built on the advertising revenue model
    and it seems like more and more people are DVR'ing and just fast
    forwarding commercials. In fact, I recently read about a
    conflict between TV interests and somebody, somewhere that was
    providing DVRs with built-in commercial identification/skipping.

    Seems like the end is in sight for the current business model.

    Pay-per-view? Commercials with enough entertainment value that
    they get watched? Back to the old cable subscription model where
    the user's monthly fee makes up for no commercials?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 13, 2012
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    J G Miller Guest

    Re: Which big Vizio HDTVs for computer usage and watching TV,movies, fullscreen videos, etc.?

    On Wednesday, June 13th, 2012, at 11:15:01h -0400,
    Peter Cresswell observed:

    > Judging by the increased frequency/length of it's fund raising
    > efforts, Philadelphia's PBS seems tb on it's last legs.

    WHYY-TV is actually licensed to Wilmington, DE, although its
    major audience as you note is in fact Philadelphia, PA.

    Perhaps people are reluctant to support WHYY because
    of where the money is going?

    QUOTE

    In 2007 ... station CEO Bill Marrazzo was cited by the
    watchdog group Charity Navigator as the highest paid CEO
    in all of public broadcasting.

    UNQUOTE

    From <http://www.broadstreetreview.COM/main/article/bill_marrazzos_whyy_pay_package/>

    QUOTE

    They say he makes more than anyone in public broadcasting
    while delivering much less.

    UNQUOTE

    J G Miller, Jun 13, 2012
  10. Per J G Miller:

    > They say he makes more than anyone in public broadcasting
    > while delivering much less.

    I don't know enough to compare.

    But he delivers Charlie Rose and PBS News Hour - which make the
    network news programs look like the moronic pap that they are.

    And then he delivers American Experience, American Masters, Bill
    Moyers' Journal, Frontline, Global Voices, Masterpiece Classic,
    Nova, P.O.V, Tavis Smiley, Washingtron Week, and enough others
    that I have the luxury of not even knowing who Kim Kardashian
    *is*, much less what she did yesterday.... so I give money to PBS
    gladly.

    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 14, 2012
  11. Per clover:
    >As a result, I watch no 'live'
    >TV. News on the mostly commercial free internet, courtesy of
    >Proxomitron, is as current, if not more so, than TV - plus it's truly
    >international which somewhat levels the politically and socially biased
    >playing field called news reporting.

    I saw an interview with Richard Armitage (foreign policy advisor,
    Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense to Reagan, foreign policy
    advisor and Deputy Secretary of State to Bush 42 - not Richard
    Armitage-the-actor) in which he was asked which news programs he
    watched.

    His reply was something like "Deutsche Welle, France24,
    Al-Jazeera, (and others, but no USA programs).

    The interviewer then asked "Why not any USA news programs?"

    His reply was something like "I don't really care what Paris
    Hilton did today."
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 14, 2012
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <>,
    (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:

    >I saw an interview with Richard Armitage (foreign policy advisor,
    >Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense to Reagan, foreign policy
    >advisor and Deputy Secretary of State to Bush 42 - not Richard
    >Armitage-the-actor)

    Hah! I'm just watching season 9 of "MI-5." Very tense scenes with
    Armitage. Don't tell me what happens!

    >in which he was asked which news programs he
    >watched.
    >
    >His reply was something like "Deutsche Welle, France24,
    >Al-Jazeera, (and others, but no USA programs).
    >
    >The interviewer then asked "Why not any USA news programs?"
    >
    >His reply was something like "I don't really care what Paris
    >Hilton did today."

    Absolutely. I'm so glad that Comcast finally added BBC World
    News. We have a local stations that carry selected newscasts
    from DW, AJE, and other overseas news channels, and AJE is
    available 24 hours a day on the web. Oh sure, BBCWN covers
    things like royal weddings and the recent jubilee celebrations,
    but the rest of the time, they do hard news, not celebrity gossip.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 14, 2012
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    J G Miller Guest

    Re: Which big Vizio HDTVs for computer usage and watching TV,movies, fullscreen videos, etc.?

    On Wednesday, June 13th, 2012, at 20:33:46h -0400,
    Pete Cresswell explained:

    > so I give money to PBS gladly.

    So you do not give money to WHYY then, because you donate
    directly to PBS?

    J G Miller, Jun 14, 2012
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    J G Miller Guest

    On Thursday, June 14th, 2012, at 13:49:20h +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > Over this side of the pond we get quite a selection including Russia Today,
    > CNN, Bloomberg, Chinese and Japanese news.

    It is important to note that CNN in Europe is "CNN International" which
    is a different station to CNN [USA], rather like the difference between
    BBC World News and BBC News.

    J G Miller, Jun 14, 2012
  15. Per J G Miller:

    >So you do not give money to WHYY then, because you donate
    >directly to PBS?

    Mea Culpa. We give to WHYY.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 14, 2012
  16. (PeteCresswell)

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <jrcq7s$41o$>, J G Miller <> wrote:
    >On Thursday, June 14th, 2012, at 13:49:20h +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Over this side of the pond we get quite a selection including Russia Today,
    >> CNN, Bloomberg, Chinese and Japanese news.

    >It is important to note that CNN in Europe is "CNN International" which
    >is a different station to CNN [USA], rather like the difference between
    >BBC World News and BBC News.

    I think CNN carries CNNI in the U.S. for a few hours overnight, but
    I don't watch CNN much so I'm not sure of the exact schedule. RT is
    carried fulltime now by Comcast in my area.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 14, 2012
  17. "R. Mark Clayton" <> wrote in message

    < snip >

    > ... During the Libyan crisis I watched a lot of Al-Jazeera. The BBC, RT,
    > DW, F24 etc. are likely to carry some national news, but at least they try
    > and carry international coverage.

    Isn't there a pro-Arab/ pro-Muslim bias to Al-Jazeera? Lord knows, so much
    of the rest of the world's media are tainted by their biases. How would
    Al-Jazeera escape?

    "SaL"

    Sal M. O'Nella, Jun 15, 2012
  18. (PeteCresswell)

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >Per Sal M. O'Nella:
    >>PIP is grossly overrated for average viewers,

    >Your assertion is supported by the sales people I've spoken with.
    >
    >My question was: "Why are such essential functions as PIP and
    >dual tuners missing from all but the highest-end TVs?"

    I am still pissed off that noone puts S-video in any tv anymore.

    GMAN, Jun 15, 2012
  19. (PeteCresswell)

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <>,
    (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >Per J G Miller:

    [re: Bill Marrazzo of WHYY]

    >> They say he makes more than anyone in public broadcasting
    >> while delivering much less.

    >I don't know enough to compare.
    >
    >But he delivers Charlie Rose and PBS News Hour - which make the
    >network news programs look like the moronic pap that they are.
    >
    >And then he delivers American Experience, American Masters, Bill
    >Moyers' Journal, Frontline, Global Voices, Masterpiece Classic,
    >Nova, P.O.V, Tavis Smiley, Washingtron Week, and enough others

    How does he "deliver" them? I'll bet WHYY was carrying all of
    those programs before Marrazzo came on board. Well, at least
    the ones that were in existence 15 years ago. WHYY produces
    none of them. In fact, the only show I've heard of that they
    do produce is on radio: Fresh Air.

    Sure, it takes money to purchase those programs, but I wouldn't
    credit the president of the station for raising all the money
    needed to deliver them.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 15, 2012
  20. (PeteCresswell)

    J G Miller Guest

    On Thursday, June 14th, 2012, at 16:31:59h -0700, Sal M. O'Nella wrote:

    > Isn't there a pro-Arab/ pro-Muslim bias to Al-Jazeera?

    Yes.

    Every broadcaster, news organisation, and newspaper is biased
    in some way or other.

    J G Miller, Jun 15, 2012