Re: Vista Registry Cleaner - As Every PC Deserves the Best!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Beta' started by D. Spencer Hines, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Errant Twaddle.

    Use NTREGOPT.EXE.

    It's safe and easy to use.

    Freeware.
    --
    DSH
    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Sep 25, 2008

  2. NTRegOpt is not a registry cleaner.

    John

    John John (MVP), Sep 25, 2008

  3. Use NTREGOPT.EXE and CCleaner in tandem and your registry will be
    clean as a hound's tooth and nicely compacted.
    --
    DSH
    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Sep 25, 2008
  4. D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    > Use NTREGOPT.EXE and CCleaner in tandem and your registry will be
    > clean as a hound's tooth and nicely compacted.

    CCleaner is worthless as a registry cleaner. I tried the latest
    version on a brand-new OS installation with no additional applications
    installed, and certainly none installed and then uninstalled, and
    CCleaner still managed to "find" over a hundred allegedly orphaned
    registry entries and dozens of purportedly "suspicious" files, making it
    clearly a *worthless* product, in this regard. (Not that any registry
    cleaner can ever be anything but worthless, as they don't serve any
    *useful* purpose, to start with.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:

    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 26, 2008
  5. D. Spencer Hines

    Jaelani Guest

    I second that. Those cleaner softwares will only do harm than good -
    especially for non-technical users. Worst is that their ads is
    becoming misleading nowadays and luring more users. And the sad part
    is that people think that the higher number a cleaner can detect a
    junk and clean them, the better it will be. But those softwares are
    just preprogrammed cleaners. They'll clean anything without even
    knowing what the objects actually means and what will affect. Sure,
    they'll clean them right - along with other minor system objects.
    They'll cripple the system little by little. When the system has been
    noticeably unstable, it would be too late since the damage has been
    done all over the place - in small parts. Nuff said.

    Jaelani, Sep 26, 2008
  6. D. Spencer Hines

    HeyBub Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    >> Use NTREGOPT.EXE and CCleaner in tandem and your registry will be
    >> clean as a hound's tooth and nicely compacted.

    > CCleaner is worthless as a registry cleaner. I tried the latest
    > version on a brand-new OS installation with no additional applications
    > installed, and certainly none installed and then uninstalled, and
    > CCleaner still managed to "find" over a hundred allegedly orphaned
    > registry entries and dozens of purportedly "suspicious" files, making
    > it clearly a *worthless* product, in this regard. (Not that any
    > registry cleaner can ever be anything but worthless, as they don't
    > serve any *useful* purpose, to start with.)

    Did you check any of the "orphaned entries?" Perhaps the OS installation was
    the culprit...

    HeyBub, Sep 26, 2008
  7. D. Spencer Hines

    Leonard Grey Guest

    An "orphaned entry" will never be accessed since the application that
    wrote the key is gone. Nothing bad can happen from an orphaned entry.
    It's just like a channel position on your television that has no station
    attached to it.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008
  8. Nonsense...

    CCleaner is an:

    Excellent...

    Safe...

    Registry Cleaner.

    I've been using it for several years now with good results.
    --
    DSH
    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Sep 26, 2008
  9. HeyBub wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    >>> Use NTREGOPT.EXE and CCleaner in tandem and your registry will be
    >>> clean as a hound's tooth and nicely compacted.

    >> CCleaner is worthless as a registry cleaner. I tried the latest
    >> version on a brand-new OS installation with no additional applications
    >> installed, and certainly none installed and then uninstalled, and
    >> CCleaner still managed to "find" over a hundred allegedly orphaned
    >> registry entries and dozens of purportedly "suspicious" files, making
    >> it clearly a *worthless* product, in this regard. (Not that any
    >> registry cleaner can ever be anything but worthless, as they don't
    >> serve any *useful* purpose, to start with.)

    > Did you check any of the "orphaned entries?" Perhaps the OS installation was
    > the culprit...

    Yes, of course I checked them; Wouldn't have been much of a test,
    otherwise. They weren't remnants of the OS installation; all (dozens,
    I'd noticed the trend by then) of the ones I checked were legitimate keys.

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 26, 2008
  10. D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    > Nonsense...
    >
    > CCleaner is an:
    >
    > Excellent...
    >
    > Safe...
    >
    > Registry Cleaner.

    There is *NO* such thing.

    > I've been using it for several years now with good results.

    Documentation? Benchmarks from before and after? Oh, and make sure
    they either been notarized or verified by an independent laboratory. In
    other words, only when someone finally produces verifiable scientific
    evidence will I give such claims a lick of credence.

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 26, 2008
  11. D. Spencer Hines

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Look out. DSH /loves/ this. He made it into my Killfile Hall of Fame on
    the first ballot.
    ---

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008
  12. D. Spencer Hines

    db.·.. > Guest

    tisk tisk tisk,
    your wrong again.

    you know good and
    well that anyone with
    due deligence can
    compare the before
    and after of registry
    cleaning....

    besides, you have
    admitted on several
    occassions that you
    use cc cleaner.

    don't you remember
    i called you on it?

    perhaps, you should
    add into your quote
    line: "do as i say and
    not as i do"

    --

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    db.·.. >, Sep 26, 2008
  13. D. Spencer Hines

    N. Miller Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:03:11 +0100, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

    > Nonsense...
    >
    > CCleaner is an:
    >
    > Excellent...
    >
    > Safe...
    >
    > Registry Cleaner.
    >
    > I've been using it for several years now with good results.

    There is no such thing as a "safe" registry cleaner; except for the one not
    used. "Clean" the wrong key from your registry, and your system is hosed.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    N. Miller, Sep 27, 2008
  14. Twaddle.

    I approve every single registry change that is made.

    If I don't approve it, no change is made.

    Perfectly safe.
    --
    DSH
    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Sep 27, 2008
  15. D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    > Twaddle.
    >
    > I approve every single registry change that is made.
    >
    > If I don't approve it, no change is made.
    >
    > Perfectly safe.

    If the registry cleaner is so "perfectly safe," why do you feel the
    need to approve each and every change? You do realize, don't you, that
    you've just added weight to the position you're trying to argue against?

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 27, 2008
  16. Balderdash...

    Good software has checks and balances built in -- with full input by
    the user.

    CCleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the registry -- and
    incorporating user input -- just as a good physician or attorney does.

    Chambers seems to be the resident Village Idiot here.

    Does he always provide Great Entertainment like this?

    It's like having a pet kigme -- always ready to take a sharp, swift
    kick to the derriere.
    --
    DSH
    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Sep 27, 2008
  17. D. Spencer Hines

    Ildhund Guest

    Ildhund, Sep 27, 2008
  18. Ildhund wrote:
    > "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message
    >> D. Spencer Hines wrote:

    > Bruce, DNFTEC; you'll only get bitten. See
    > http://lcngarc.twoshakesofalambstail.com/1998/12/1998120729.html

    I see your point, but my primary concern is to ensure that there's a
    rebuttal to the deliberately harmful advice these people post, so that
    newbies are at least warned of the dangers. If doing so also boosts the
    sad little trolls' egos, I think it's a price I'll just have to accept.
    Anyway, they generally make themselves look increasingly desperate and
    pathetic with each new post.

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 27, 2008
  19. "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in message
    > Balderdash...
    >
    > Good software has checks and balances built in -- with full input by the
    > user.
    >
    > CCleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the registry -- and
    > incorporating user input -- just as a good physician or attorney does.
    >
    >snip

    What on earth have physicians and attorneys got to do with CCleaner. You are
    a really strange person!

    I use to be an advocate of Registry Cleaners. I use to try them all and was
    quite convinced they were an essential for efficient computer management.
    Perhaps in the days pre WINXP they were useful. I read all the cautionary
    advice given in the NGs and like you dismissed them. Everytime I
    experienced a glitch, time to run a 'cleaner' and I use to have 'glitches'
    at regular intervals. I then decided perhaps I should stop running these
    Cleaners and see what happens. Now I no longer have these 'glitches' or any
    need to restore the Registry (ERUNT) from time to time. My experience has
    been sufficient for me to relate machine problems (glitches) with Registry
    Cleaners. Before you comment, I do run programs like CCleaner, not the
    Registry Cleaner component, and Disk Cleaner regularly to clear out the
    'trash' . Actually I think Disk Cleaner is the better of the programs.

    What I do question is that Registry Cleaners will or may corrupt the
    Registry to the extent of preventing boot up. This statement I simply find
    absurd. For a Registry Cleaner to do this it would need to remove/corrupt
    Registry entries that are essential to the OS. Even with the most
    rudimentary Quality Control the software designer would identify and correct
    that before the program was issued. Registry Cleaners certainly do remove
    entries that are required by some programs to operate (empty keys no doubt)
    and this is where they fall down. I suppose the essential question is, in
    what way does the removal of empty and redundant data in the Registry
    improve machine performance and/or in what way do empty and redundant keys
    impair machine performance. If the machine must read every Registry entry
    to permit it to execute a command then the answer is self evident but that
    is not the case.

    Registry Cleaners are a con. There only value is to give the users of such
    programs a 'feel good' feeling. These programs remove entries in the
    Registry of entries that do not require removal and by doing so sometimes
    'throws the baby out with the bath water'.

    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 28, 2008
  20. Never happened to me...

    Fact:

    My system runs smoother and swifter since I started using the CCleaner
    registry cleaner.

    I'm not vouching for regcleaners in GENERAL.

    So your post was one long non sequitur.

    'Nuff Said.
    --
    DSH