Re: Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by lachevnyko@gmail.com, Jun 29, 2012.

  1. Guest

    01 март 2003, Ñъбота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani напиÑа:
    > I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
    > Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
    > running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram.
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Gunjani
    > Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical
    > situations?

    01 март 2003, Ñъбота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani напиÑа:
    > I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
    > Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
    > running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram.
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Gunjani
    > Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical
    > situations?

    , Jun 29, 2012

  2. On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:

    > 01 март 2003, Ñъбота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani напиÑа:
    >> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
    >> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
    >> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram. --
    >> Many Thanks

    Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
    more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.

    Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
    running than you realize.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Jun 29, 2012

  3. glee Guest

    "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:
    >
    >> 01 март 2003, Ñъбота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani напиÑа:
    >>> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
    >>> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
    >>> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram. --
    >>> Many Thanks

    > Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
    > more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
    >
    > Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
    > running than you realize.

    It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this happen.
    One application that uses progressively more of the page file will cause
    Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
    example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
    with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the page
    file, till it has to be resized by Windows.
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jun 30, 2012
  4. On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:

    > "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:
    >>
    >>> 01 март 2003, Ñъбота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani напиÑа:

    >> Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
    >> more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
    >>
    >> Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
    >> running than you realize.

    > It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this happen.
    > One application that uses progressively more of the page file will cause
    > Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
    > example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
    > with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the page
    > file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

    I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
    marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually increased
    virtual memory from the system set default size.

    Also, I just noticed the date of the original query I replied to: 2003.
    Either the OP's clock is badly off, or the message is 9 years old. I'm
    sure the OP has solved the problem by now, if the latter. ;-)

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Jun 30, 2012
  5. glee Guest

    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:
    >
    >> "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message

    >>> Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is
    >>> add
    >>> more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
    >>>
    >>> Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
    >>> running than you realize.

    >> It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this
    >> happen.
    >> One application that uses progressively more of the page file will
    >> cause
    >> Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
    >> example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
    >> with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the
    >> page
    >> file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

    > I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
    > marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
    > increased
    > virtual memory from the system set default size.
    >
    > Also, I just noticed the date of the original query I replied to:
    > 2003.
    > Either the OP's clock is badly off, or the message is 9 years old.
    > I'm
    > sure the OP has solved the problem by now, if the latter. ;-)

    I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
    programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a max
    of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit system
    by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just not
    run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
    over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

    I saw the 2003 date on the OP which is why I just replied to you, and
    not the original. :)

    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jul 1, 2012
  6. On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:19:32 -0400, glee wrote:

    > "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this
    >>> happen.
    >>> One application that uses progressively more of the page file will
    >>> cause
    >>> Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
    >>> example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
    >>> with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the
    >>> page
    >>> file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

    >> I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
    >> marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
    >> increased
    >> virtual memory from the system set default size.

    > I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
    > programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a max
    > of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit system
    > by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just not
    > run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
    > over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

    Well, I use Photoshop professionally on a 32-bit XP system with 1.5GB
    RAM. Yes, it goes into VM, of which there's 3GB, all the time, but I've
    never max'd it out. And I routinely batch process dozens to hundreds of
    RAW and/or JPEG images. However, I've configured it to be more RAM
    efficient as I do with all my apps.

    I used Firefox for years on Windows (and Linux)--now use Chrome--and, as
    I've said, never experienced this problem. Perhaps, it's just the way I
    set up my systems--lean and minimal--manage my applications, and use the
    system compared to others.

    I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been on-going
    for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
    off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching. With
    today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
    little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Jul 1, 2012
  7. glee Guest

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:19:32 -0400, glee wrote:
    >
    >> "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
    >>> marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
    >>> increased
    >>> virtual memory from the system set default size.

    >> I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
    >> programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a
    >> max
    >> of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit
    >> system
    >> by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just
    >> not
    >> run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
    >> over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

    > Well, I use Photoshop professionally on a 32-bit XP system with 1.5GB
    > RAM. Yes, it goes into VM, of which there's 3GB, all the time, but
    > I've
    > never max'd it out. And I routinely batch process dozens to hundreds
    > of
    > RAW and/or JPEG images. However, I've configured it to be more RAM
    > efficient as I do with all my apps.
    >
    > I used Firefox for years on Windows (and Linux)--now use Chrome--and,
    > as
    > I've said, never experienced this problem. Perhaps, it's just the way
    > set up my systems--lean and minimal--manage my applications, and use
    > the
    > system compared to others.
    >
    > I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been
    > on-going
    > for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
    > off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching.
    > With
    > today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
    > little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

    Some of the reports showed issues no matter what setting were used for
    browser RAM caching. Note in the example links below that some comments
    are discussing memory usage, and others virtual memory usage which is
    what I'm referring to.

    Virtual Memory Consumption High - Opera for Windows - Opera Community
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1283812

    High CPU usage and Opera do not Free RAM - arghh! - Opera browser -
    Opera Community
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1020442&t=1329815632&page=1#comment9666572

    McAfee Communities: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
    https://community.mcafee.com/message/204476?tstart=0

    I've seen similar threads in Mozilla forums over the years.

    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jul 7, 2012
  8. On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 08:52:06 -0400, glee wrote:

    > "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message

    >> [snip]
    >> I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been on-going
    >> for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
    >> off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching. With
    >> today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
    >> little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

    > Some of the reports showed issues no matter what setting were used for
    > browser RAM caching. Note in the example links below that some comments
    > are discussing memory usage, and others virtual memory usage which is
    > what I'm referring to.
    >
    > Virtual Memory Consumption High - Opera for Windows - Opera Community
    > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1283812
    >
    > High CPU usage and Opera do not Free RAM - arghh! - Opera browser -
    > Opera Community
    > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?

    id=1020442&t=1329815632&page=1#comment9666572

    > McAfee Communities: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
    > https://community.mcafee.com/message/204476?tstart=0
    >
    > I've seen similar threads in Mozilla forums over the years.

    I'm not doubting you: I've just never experienced it. Based on what was
    discussed in the links you gave, I still think it's due to RAM cacheing
    that runs out of available user RAM--reserving some for system use--and
    moves into virtual RAM. If it were a coding bug, the "problem" should
    occur on other OSes like Linux and OSX that the browsers run on. But it
    doesn't seem to. Of course, Linux and OSX have much better memory
    management than Windows.

    I'm going to see if I can create the problem. Just for fun. Has this
    occurred with Internet Explorer, too, or only with Firefox and Opera?

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Jul 8, 2012