Re: Very slow menu when right-clicking on a shortcut

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Fatbob, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Fatbob

    Fatbob Guest

    Awesome advice John! I would have never thought of using Regmon, which is a
    very good and useful tool.

    After using Regmon, I don't seem to have the same issue that you
    encountered. I do however get a whole bunch of 'NOTFOUND' with a couple of
    registry keys that explorer seems to be looking for.

    Here are a couple of examples...

    HKCU\.lnk
    HKCU\lnkfile
    HKCU\lnkfile\CurVer
    HKCR\lnkfile\CurVer
    HKCU\lnkfile\shell
    HKCR\lnkfile\shell
    HKCU\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler
    HKCR\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler

    When I look for these keys on several other Win2k workstations, they all
    don't have any of these keys either, but for some reason, my PC is looking
    for them?

    Any clues?

    "John Halsey" <> wrote in message
    > I solved this problem for a friend recently. It turned out that his
    > computer had a program installed that pointed to a network shared folder,
    > but he computer hosting that shared folder was shut down. Every time he
    > right-clicked, his computer would delay for about 30 seconds, and then
    > display the pop-up menu for that item.
    >
    > The way I discovered the solution was to use the free Registry Monitor
    > utility from www.sysinternals.com. Since most pop-up menus in Windows
    > Explorer are defined by items in the Registry, this tool is useful to see
    > what it's looking for.
    >
    > Run the Registry Monitor, then right-click a file in Explorer. RegMon

    will
    > capture a ton of events. Once the pop-up menu finally appears after 30
    > seconds, stop RegMon and review the results. Search for \\ to locate any
    > remote computer that it may be trying to reference, such as

    \\Server1\Shared

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > -John
    >

    > "Fatbob" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys, I'm having a very annoying problem and need help. When I
    > > right-click on any .lnk file (a shortcut file) it takes over half minute

    > (35
    > > seconds to be exact) for the menu to appear. This happens on the

    desktop,

    Fatbob, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Fatbob

    John Halsey Guest

    It's common for Windows to query the Registry and receive "NOTFOUND"
    replies. This is how it lets an individual user have preferences that
    differ from the system defaults. In your example, it checks to see if HKCU
    (Current User) has any custom handlers for the .lnk filetype before checking
    the default system settings under HKCR (for all users).

    Getting back to your problem, the symptoms still seem to indicate a network
    timeout causing the delay when you right-click. You might also want to
    capture your workstation's network traffic while you right-click to see if
    your computer is querying for some network resource. Do you have any kind
    of packet capture software available? If your problem was on a Win2000
    Server, you could use the built-in Network Monitor to see what's going on
    behind the scenes. Since you're on Win2000 Pro, you'll need a 3rd party
    capture tool. If you have access to Microsoft SMS, it has the full version
    of Network Monitor that you could use. Otherwise, do a search for other
    tools on the web. Here's a good place to start:
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Packet_Sniffers~Info.htm

    -John

    John Halsey, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Fatbob

    Fatbob Guest

    Thanks for all your help John. I'll try using a packet tool as you suggest.

    Fatbob, Sep 15, 2003