    in a way I've missed?

    Confused

    , Nov 24, 2005

  2. I don't think that will work in an Active Directory domain. There is also a
    security option in Local Security Policy - local policies/security options
    for interactive logon:do not require control-alt-delete that you can set to
    disabled which should also prevent such logon from happening. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 24, 2005

    Re: Users Deleting Password in XP Pro

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:03:57 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't think that will work in an Active Directory domain. There is also a
    >security option in Local Security Policy - local policies/security options
    >for interactive logon:do not require control-alt-delete that you can set to
    >disabled which should also prevent such logon from happening. --- Steve

    Thanks Steven, I thought it was somewhere
    Here's an even more dumfounding one:

    "A workgroup becomes impractical in environments with more than 100
    computers."

    With three other statements we are asked to choose the true ones.
    Apparently this is one of the false ones, which goes against
    everything I have learned and practised on-the-job over years. What
    would possess anyone to go for a workgroup if they had 100
    workstations? Apart from saving a few bucks on server hardware and
    software, which they would lose through the inefficiency of a
    cumbersome workgroup

    Confused

    , Nov 25, 2005
  4. Re: Users Deleting Password in XP Pro

    A workgroup becomes impractical probably at more than a dozen computers in
    most cases. There becomes a point where the cost implementing a domain is
    less than the cost of maintaining a workgroup over the long run not only in
    dollars and time but in better security. --- Steve MCSE NT4.0/Windows
    2000/Windows 2003:Security.

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 26, 2005

    Re: Users Deleting Password in XP Pro

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:36:10 -0600, "Steven L Umbach"
    <> wrote:

    >A workgroup becomes impractical probably at more than a dozen computers in
    >most cases. There becomes a point where the cost implementing a domain is
    >less than the cost of maintaining a workgroup over the long run not only in
    >dollars and time but in better security. --- Steve MCSE NT4.0/Windows
    >2000/Windows 2003:Security.

    Thanks Steven thats what I was hoping to hear. I know this thread is
    now deserving of a different newsgroup but the question on "100 PC's
    in a workgroup" comes from the MS own MCSE Study Guide 2002. I hope
    the new ones are better, when I am convinced I know the material it is
    a bit disturbing to find errors like that (and others, I've got a
    list!).
    I know there are various "practice test" firms selling carazy answers
    but to get them from MS themselves makes us wonder what to expect in
    an exam.
    If someone points me to the best ngroup or forum for this I'll migrate
    my queries!,

    Confused

    , Nov 26, 2005
  6. Re: Users Deleting Password in XP Pro

    I have read scores of MCSE books from all different publishers and I have
    seen errors in every one. Some having a fairly large number and some very
    few. I have found that for the MCSE 2003 track the Microsoft Press books are
    generally very good and maybe even the best. Keep in mind though that these
    are written by independent authors and are not really Microsoft
    documentation as compared to Microsoft white papers and deployment kits. I
    have also found that Microsoft documentation and white papers are really top
    notch these days - particularly for Windows 2003 and XP Pro so be sure to
    supplement your studies with them. Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2003
    Server is a must read in my opinion for anyone studying for MCSA/MCSE even
    though it is not a study guide. The Windows Security Resource Kit second
    edition is another book I highly recommend to those trying to become
    certified.

    I suggest that you post future questions in the appropriate newsgroup and
    not the MCSE/MCSA newsgroups as they are usually less then helpful. For
    instance if you have a Group Policy question post in a Group Policy
    newsgroup to increase your chances of getting a fast and accurate answer. I
    would also mention that you are a student studying and working on a practice
    network. I think you will find posters willing to help and get great advice.
    Then as you learn more and have more experience you can also be one to help
    give advice. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx ---
    Windows 2003 Server Deployment Kit.
    http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0735621748 --- Windows Security Resource Kit