Re: USB sticks unreliable

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by larry moe 'n curly, May 22, 2008.

  1. 11 Claude Hopper 5. ? wrote:

    > This is my second USB stick failure. I have stuff on it and no computer
    > can access it anymore. These are seeming not to be reliable to me.

    You may want to ask in the forums at www.USBman.com and www.EverythingUSB.com.
    And some data recovery companies, like OnTrack, can retrieve files
    from flash drives, for lots of $$$.

    USB ports are supposed to be rated to withstand at least 12,000 volts
    of static, but it turns out it's not hard to exceed that in regular
    use, so just before I plug in a USB device, I touch the outer metal
    body of its plug to some bare metal on the computer case (doesn't have
    to be direct -- you can put a finger on the metal body of the USB plug
    while touching the case with your other hand).

    USB stuff can also be damaged by the surge of current that occurs when
    a device is plugged in. It's supposed to be protected for that, too,
    but the protection relies in part on a capacitor between +5V and
    ground, and apparently many companies cut corners by using an
    undersized or cheap capacitor. I learned this when my NEC-based I/O
    Gear card blew the very LM3526 chip that was supposed to protect it
    against such damage. I don't know know of any practical ways to get
    around current surges.

    I've had USB ports blow, but so far all my USB sticks have been OK --
    PNY, Emprex (both with NEC-based bridges), Lexar, MicroAdvantage, and
    Patriot.

    larry moe 'n curly, May 22, 2008