Re: Unable to read my burned CDs and DVDs in various DVD-ROM drives...

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Yousuf Khan, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Ant wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
    > burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs [assuming
    > they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole disc (e.g.,
    > Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g., can't copy
    > specific files). I have seen this at work and home with many IDE/PATA
    > DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.

    No, you're not the only one who's noticed that. I had so much trouble
    with this problem in the past, I used to burn them on one writer and
    verify them back on a different drive. I'd make sure I'd get two
    separate brands of drives in all cases. However, then I found this site
    and it explains quite a bit:

    digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 14, 2009

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ant wrote
    > Yousuf Khan typed

    >>> Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
    >>> burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs
    >>> [assuming they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole
    >>> disc (e.g., Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g.,
    >>> can't copy specific files). I have seen this at work and home with
    >>> many IDE/PATA DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.

    >> No, you're not the only one who's noticed that. I had so much trouble
    >> with this problem in the past, I used to burn them on one writer and
    >> verify them back on a different drive. I'd make sure I'd get two
    >> separate brands of drives in all cases. However, then I found this
    >> site and it explains quite a bit:

    >> digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide
    >> http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

    > Thanks. What about CDs?

    The short story is that you dont need to bother anymore, even the worst of whats buyable works fine.

    Thats not true of DVDs tho.

    Rod Speed, Sep 14, 2009