Re: TRADEDAUBLER

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP], Feb 8, 2009.

  1. Ted Smith wrote:

    > About 3 days ago I started getting a "virus warning" poppup message
    > everytime I start Internet Explorer (see attachment) and it directs me to
    > go to tradedaubler.com to fix the problem . In addition to the message
    > another instance of IE usually also opens, often with an advertisement
    > from the online University of Phoenix, but sometimes advertising
    > something else that looks fairly reputable. Whatever is causing those
    > problems also seems to making the whole computer run much slower than
    > normal. My antivirus program (Eset Nod32) is unable to detect any virus,
    > and I am not able to find any suspicious processes in task manager. I
    > am running XP-SP2 with IE6. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Ted Smith

    Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool:

    Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (freeware):
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    and SUPERAntispyware (freeware):
    http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

    See and follow:
    "Checking for/Help with Spyware, Malware and Hijackware".
    http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/Post_4820.aspx

    If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product
    Support Services.
    For support within the United States and Canada, call toll-free (866)
    PCSAFETY (727-2338).
    For support outside the United States and Canada, visit the Product Support
    Services Web page (http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome).

    For the virus/worm issues ask for help also in the Microsoft Newsgroup -
    Security - Viruses.
    Via your newsreader:
    Via Web:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...fault.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.security.virus

    --
    Vincenzo Di Russo

    Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP], Feb 8, 2009

  2. Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

    Ted Smith Guest

    Hi Vincenzo, and Thanks. I did steps 1,2 & 3 of your suggestion, got rid of
    a lot of garbage, and now things are working fine and the computer is fast
    and lively again. I was really surprised because I thought my antivirus
    program was supposed to take care of all that. Guess not. One last
    question though - I thought the Microsoft Malware Remover was supposed to
    report back to me when it got done running. There was no reporting at all
    so I ran it twice. (Finally, I had to download and run the other 2 programs
    and they found almost 400 malware items). Why didn't MS find anything or
    bother to report back at the end?

    Ted Smith

    Ted Smith, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Ted Smith wrote:

    > Hi Vincenzo, and Thanks. I did steps 1,2 & 3 of your suggestion, got rid
    > of a lot of garbage, and now things are working fine and the computer is
    > fast and lively again. I was really surprised because I thought my
    > antivirus program was supposed to take care of all that. Guess not. One
    > last question though - I thought the Microsoft Malware Remover was
    > supposed to report back to me when it got done running. There was no
    > reporting at all so I ran it twice. (Finally, I had to download and run
    > the other 2 programs and they found almost 400 malware items). Why
    > didn't MS find anything or bother to report back at the end?

    Hi Ted,
    glad to help and thank you for your feedback.
    "... The Malicious Software Removal Tool writes details about the result of
    its execution in the %windir%\debug\mrt.log log file..."
    Cf.: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891716/en-us

    Start -> Run -> type MRT.exe -> OK.

    About MSRT behaviour see also my reply in this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...m/thread/cb7ee56a-5040-452b-ae5a-ca4576bb6d23

    Please upgrade your Internet Explorer version to IE7, for security reasons!

    > Ted Smith

    Cheers,

    --
    Vincenzo Di Russo