Re: TOC font won't cooperate

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Terry Farrell, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. Presumably you have Word 2003? TNR is the built in default font that Word
    uses when it doesn't know which font it should be using. To stop this
    happening, my workaround is to create a base style for a new template making
    sure it is based on No Style. Then most other styles in the template are
    then based on the template base style. Make sure that TOC1 style is based on
    the Base Style but TOCs 2, 3, 4, etc are based on TOC1 style. Make sure that
    the styles are all saved with the correct template though.

    --
    Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

    Terry Farrell, Jun 9, 2009

  2. If you limit the Style Task Pane to display ONLY those styles that are in
    use in the template, you can then create your new template base style ands
    edit the others to be based on that style. So you don't have to change every
    style in Word, just those in use in that template.

    Terry

    > Thanks for these tips, which I'll try. Just a comment: Word has no
    > reason -
    > not- to know which font to use, since each TOC style specifies the font.
    > Anyway, I have a question about your suggestion: you mention a new
    > template,
    > but I've been working on this template for a while. Is there a way to get
    > the
    > result you describe with an existing template?
    >
    > Terry Farrell wrote:
    >>Presumably you have Word 2003? TNR is the built in default font that Word
    >>uses when it doesn't know which font it should be using. To stop this
    >>happening, my workaround is to create a base style for a new template
    >>making
    >>sure it is based on No Style. Then most other styles in the template are
    >>then based on the template base style. Make sure that TOC1 style is based
    >>on
    >>the Base Style but TOCs 2, 3, 4, etc are based on TOC1 style. Make sure
    >>that
    >>the styles are all saved with the correct template though.
    >>
    >>> I did a search, and many people have trouble controlling the TOC font.
    >>> None

    >>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
    >>> it had no effect. Can someone suggest where the Times Roman spec is
    >>> coming
    >>> from?

    Terry Farrell, Jun 10, 2009

  3. You create a base style the same as any other style and make sure to base it
    on No Style. If you don't know how to create a style, then read Style in
    Microsoft Word here...

    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

    Terry

    Terry Farrell, Jun 12, 2009
  4. The Hyperlink style is by default defined as Default Paragraph Font +
    Underline, Font Color: Blue. At some point, TNR must have been added to the
    style definition. What makes this very hard to troubleshoot is that the
    Hyperlink formatting is suppressed in TOC and REF fields even when they are
    hyperlinked. This is pretty obvious when you click in a TOC entry, however,
    since Hyperlink is displayed in the Style box (making it that much harder to
    actually get to and modify the underlying TOC 1, TOC 2, etc., style).

    If you had created a TOC that did not include the \h switch (that is, the
    entries would not be hyperlinked, though the page numbers still would be),
    you would not have been seeing these issues!

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 15, 2009