Re: Stop Error: 0x0000007F (0x00000008,0x80042000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Gerry, Jan 3, 2009.

  1. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Ryan

    Background information on Stop Error message

    This applies in your situation.

    0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a
    call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions
    are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot
    be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a
    double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

    1. A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is
    hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no
    stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you
    think this overview has occurred, use the !thread debugger extension to
    determine the stack limits, and then use the kb (Display Stack
    Backtrace) debugger command with a large parameter (for example, kb 100)
    to display the full stack.

    2. A hardware problem.

    0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware
    failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition
    that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures
    are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error
    referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware
    failures are the most common.
    Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click on
    the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties,
    Hardware,Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?

    Try Start, Run, type "sigverif.exe" without quotes and hit OK. What
    drivers are listed as unsigned? Disregard those which are not checked.

    If the computer does not automatically restart in safe mode that tends
    to rule out what is used in safe mode.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    http://www.answers.com/topic/safe-mode-1

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Jan 3, 2009

  2. Gerry

    Bob Lucas Guest

    Before contemplating reinstallation of your OS, check Device Manager
    again.

    However, before you do so, enable viewing of unplugged and hidden items.
    You will find detailed guidance at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us.

    Bob Lucas, Jan 3, 2009

  3. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Ryan

    "with everything checked except "Plug and Play". What exactly do you
    mean? There is a Plug and Play Service and Universal Plug and Play
    Service. Stopping or disabling Plug and Play will result in system
    instability.

    I have not attempted troubleshooting this way but applying logic I am
    able to make a number of comments based on what is going on on my
    computer. You will need to compare with your own.

    The Plug and Play Service starts in Safe Mode. If yours does the same
    stopping the Service in a selective StartUp does not isolate the error.
    The Service on my computer has six dependent services. These are Logical
    Disk Manager, Logical Disk Manager Admin Service, Smart Card, Telephony,
    Windows Audio, and Windows Driver Foundation. Stopping Smart Card,
    Telephony, Windows Audio in my view would be services to stop first. I
    am not certain what effect stopping the other three would have. On my
    computer they presently have not started in normal mode.

    This service is the heart and soul of the Plug and Play environment and
    this service cannot be stopped using the services control panel and
    should not be stopped by any other means. Take note: UPnP is not PnP.
    UPnP is for connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as
    scanners or printers. Your sound card is PnP. Do not disable Plug and
    Play service.
    Paragraph Source: Black Viper

    What other service require Plug and Play to function properly:
    Fax (H, M, P, T)
    Logical Disk Manager (H, M, P, T)
    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (H, M, P, T)
    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (H, M, P, T)
    Messenger (H, M, P, T)
    Smart Card (H, M, P, T)
    Telephony (H, M, P, T)
    Fax (H, M, P, T)
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
    Remote Access Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
    Windows Audio (H, M, P, T)
    Paragraph Source: Black Viper

    The Universal Plug and Play Service did not start in Safe Mode and has
    not started in Normal Mode. The only dependency here is the Windows
    Media Player Network Service which has not started.

    Used in conjunction with SSDP Discovery Service, it detects and
    configures UPnP devices on your home network. If any external device
    does not function because of this service being disabled, place it back
    in to Automatic. MSN Messenger uses this service in conjunction with
    supported UPnP devices, to provide support for networks behind a NAT
    firewall, gateway or router. Also, if you are experiencing difficulty
    connecting to multiplayer games that use DirectX(7,8,9), place this
    service to Automatic and ensure you download all security updates.
    Furthermore, if you use Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and
    wish to make use of the "allow others to modify this connection"
    feature, enable UPnP. Take note: UPnP is not PnP. UPnP is for
    connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as scanners or
    printers. Your sound card is PnP. Do not disable the Plug and Play
    service.
    Paragraph Source: Black Viper

    What service Universal Plug and Play Device Host needs to function
    properly:
    HTTP (H, M, P, T)
    SDDP Discovery Service (H, M, P, T)
    HTTP (H, M, P, T)
    Paragraph Source: Black Viper:

    To eliminate USB devices you can enable or disable the device in Device
    Manager.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Jan 3, 2009
  4. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Ryan

    I thought I posted this yesterday evening but it has not appeared so
    here's another copy.

    Gerry, Jan 4, 2009
  5. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    ryanoc

    Well done.

    Smart Card, Telephony, and Windows Audio in my view are services you
    need to watch.

    --

    Gerry
    ~~~~

    Gerry, Jan 5, 2009
  6. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Ryan

    We may not have narrowed the problem to one of the three services but
    they are the obvious place to start. Logic says it is likely to be
    Windows Audio as the Start Up type is Automatic whereas the other two
    are Manual.

    Select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and place
    the cursor on Windows Audio. Right click and select Properties, General
    tab and use the Scroll to the right of StartUp type to change Automatic
    to Disable. Click on Apply and OK. Exit and restart your computer. If
    lucky we have pinpointed the cause and then need to find out why and
    resolve.

    My feeling is that it will not be one of the other two but if the
    Windows Audio test does not provide the answer try one at a time.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Ryan

    Are you referring to the Malicious Software Removal Tool?

    It depends on your settings for Automatic Update but I would not expect
    it to run in any version of Safe Mode, except Safe Mode with Networking.
    Was this months Critical Security Update also installed?

    --

    Gerry
    ~~~~

    Gerry, Jan 14, 2009