    other posts with no answers...

    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Guest, Sep 27, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    If the sam hive is corrupt, it may be possible to rename the sam hive found
    in;
    %windir%\system32\config\sam
    to sam.old
    then copy the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback
    as
    %windir%\system32\config\sam

    If that fails you can copy/ use the file
    %windir%\repair\sam

    Replacing the system or software hive is pretty straight-forward; not sure
    what the impact is going to be as far as replacing the sam hive. It might be
    that the sam and security need to be replaced in pairs. Seems you've nothing
    to lose by trying though.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
    %systemroot% and %windir%

    Any account passwords are likely to revert to those in effect at the time of
    the backup.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Sep 27, 2004

    Dave:

    Thank you for the quick reply!

    The only problem I see is I can't seem to find any subdir
    or files in the %windir%\system32\ called regback. Is
    this directory hidden ??

    Thanks again for all your help!

    newsgroup.

    Guest, Sep 27, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    No, not hidden. It's not found in the system32 directory.
    %windir%\repair\regback
    If it does not exist this just means you may have never backed up the
    registry.

    Dave Patrick, Sep 27, 2004