    Trayon5 Guest

    I had configured windows to skip the login and boot to my desktop. Now I
    need to use the admin login but I can't remember how to turn it back on.

    Trayon5, May 27, 2009

  2. Trayon5 wrote:
    > I had configured windows to skip the login and boot to my desktop.
    > Now I need to use the admin login but I can't remember how to turn
    > it back on.

    Reverse what you did to enable automatic logon... (What did you do - see
    below.)

    You can boot into Safe Mode and log on as the local "administrator" as
    well - which you may have to do so you can undo something from below...

    Automatic Logons:
    ------
    Microsoft method:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
    (Essentially the same... but different place:
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/13/ )

    Microsoft Method 2:
    TweakUI from:

    control userpasswords2 method:
    1) Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
    2) Type in the following:

    control userpasswords2

    now click OK
    3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the
    primary logon.
    Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
    4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected
    users password.
    Click OK when you are done...
    ------

    Hopefully that gets you where you are wanting to be.

    It is a *good* thing in the user arena to:
    1) Have strong passwords.
    2) Have more than one administrator level account (with strong passwords).

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 27, 2009