Re: Reset all footers in a document

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. You don't separate the footers into sections; you separate the document into
    sections. If the section breaks are not necessary, they can be deleted. I
    suspect that they are necessary. Using the Format Page Number button on the
    Header and Footer toolbar, set the numbering in each section to "Continue
    from previous section" instead of restarting it at what you think is the
    correct number.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    "NygmaticOne" <> wrote in message
    > I have a problem numbering my pages in a document. The last person that

    worked with this document separated the footers into sections and when I
    start the page numbering in page one as "1" everything is fine up until I
    get to page 7. Page 7 is page 1 so I click view headers and footers and
    change the one on page 7 to 7 and every page before 7 becomes page 7.

    > How can I either erase all the footers and add all new ones or clear all

    the settings in the footers now so they are no longer in sections?

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Suzanne S. Barnhill

    Guest Guest

    Hi Suzanne,

    Thank you for trying to help me.

    I have already tried the latter method and it seems it isn't working as expected. The footers will say something like "Footer - Section 3- Same as Previous" but the numbering is way off. In this particular document, I really don't think section breaks are necessary so I'd like to find and remove all section breaks but I'm not sure if could do that by simply clicking on the "show ¶" button and deleting anything that says "Section Break"?

    Does this sound right?

    TIA
    NygmaticOne

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004

  3. If you have selected "Different odd and even" on the Layout tab of Page
    Setup, then you have separate Odd and Even Headers/Footers. Place the page
    numbers in these footers using paragraph alignment or the built-in tab
    stops. As for the last page, make sure that the vertical alignment (also on
    the Layout tab of Page Setup) is set to Top rather than Justified.

    --

    > Ok, I think the numbering is fine now. I would just like to have the odd

    numbers appear on the right hand side of the page now and the even numbers
    on the left.

    > I've already tried doing this on my own and the page numbers end up; odd

    on the right and even in the center.

    > I also tried centering all of them the best I could and this will do for

    now but I would prefer if I could have them alternating right and left.

    > Another thing I noticed is that now that I've fixed the page numbering,

    the last page seems to have quadruple line spacing. I can't fix this and now
    Word is just becoming an extremley annoying program to use for me to do a
    simple layout.

    > Sorry, I usually do page layouts using page layout programs like PageMaker

    or InDesign. I'm not used to doing page layouts with word processing
    programs.

    > If someone could help me correct these issues, I would really appreciate

    it.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 21, 2004