Re: Removing a dual install

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Chris Szilagyi, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. You can edit the "boot.ini" file on your partition root. Just remove
    the entry you don't want. But be careful not to remove the wrong one.
    They are in the same order as displayed in the menu. There is no harm
    done in leaving it there. However if you installed both Win2k's into
    separate folders, you'll probably want to delete the winnt folder for
    the one that is not used to save disk space.

    Chris Szilagyi
    Technical Consultant

    Apex Internet Solutions - http://www.apex-internet.com
    Complete Internet Hosting Solutions, Custom Websites

    Chris Szilagyi, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Make a copy of the boot.ini before you edit it. First, you need to show
    hidden files and folders and unhide protected operating system files.

    Robin Bradley, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Chris Szilagyi

    Ben Guest

    How do I get to the boot.ini file on the partition root.
    I cant find it through the windows explorer. I am asuming
    that is not where I am supposed to be looking. Thanks, Ben

    Ben, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Chris Szilagyi

    Bob I Guest

    Turn "Show hidden and system files" on. Also it is a read only file so
    you have to turn that off.

    Bob I, Jul 10, 2003