Re: Program only uses 50% of CPU cycles

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Bob Willard, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Bob Willard

    Bob Willard Guest

    BlackHawke wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am running a server program on windows XP. The computer is capable of
    > having dual CPU's, but only has one at the moment.
    >
    > When I run this Java based server, the CPU usage for the app goes up to 50%,
    > while the system idle remains at roughly 48%.
    >
    > I suspected immediately that the OS simply believes that there are two CPU's
    > of the same speed (and indeed, the task manager shows 2 cpu's though there
    > is only one)... However the responsiveness of the OS indicates to me that
    > indeed 48% of the resources are in idle. Even when giving the Java app the
    > highest priority, the os remains perfectly responsive. When launching other
    > apps, they get significant portions, if not all of the system idle speed,
    > bringing the total CPU usage to 100% (the java app is still at 48-50%)...
    > All of this, especially the perfect responsiveness of the OS to commands
    > despite the high "Java" priority, suggest to me that the numbers are
    > accurate.
    >
    > I need the java program to have full use of the CPU... Why is it only using
    > 50%, and how can I change this?
    >
    > Thank you for your time and attention.
    > Nick Soutter
    > Lamar Games
    > www.lamargames.net

    Sounds like you have a P4 with HT, and your app is not taking
    advantage of HT. You'll need to recode your app.

    Turning off HT will let your app use 100% of what's left, but
    that may turn out to be no more throughput than what you already
    had with HT on.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Jul 18, 2003