Re: Program only uses 50% of CPU cycles

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Joshua Smith [MSFT], Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Basically you will only hit 100% if you are running either an app that is
    SMP aware and able to take advantage of two processors, or running more than
    one instance of an app that would normally use 100% of a single processor.
    You effectivly have two processors and the CPU usage is the percentage of
    use for both. Turning off hyperthreading isn't going to gain you anything.
    You are better off leaving hyperthreading on because the system should
    effectivly run your app on one processor and everything else on the other
    until both are tasked to capacity (100%).

    --
    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput Test Lab

    -----

    "BlackHawke" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am running a server program on windows XP. The computer is capable of
    > having dual CPU's, but only has one at the moment.
    >
    > When I run this Java based server, the CPU usage for the app goes up to

    50%,
    > while the system idle remains at roughly 48%.
    >
    > I suspected immediately that the OS simply believes that there are two

    CPU's
    > of the same speed (and indeed, the task manager shows 2 cpu's though there
    > is only one)... However the responsiveness of the OS indicates to me that
    > indeed 48% of the resources are in idle. Even when giving the Java app the
    > highest priority, the os remains perfectly responsive. When launching

    other
    > apps, they get significant portions, if not all of the system idle speed,
    > bringing the total CPU usage to 100% (the java app is still at 48-50%)...
    > All of this, especially the perfect responsiveness of the OS to commands
    > despite the high "Java" priority, suggest to me that the numbers are
    > accurate.
    >
    > I need the java program to have full use of the CPU... Why is it only

    using

    Joshua Smith [MSFT], Jul 18, 2003