Re: Normalizing Tables

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Database Table Design' started by Dan Dungan, Apr 12, 2012.

  1. Dan Dungan

    Dan Dungan Guest

    Hi DuWayne,

    Here's a few questions that may help you identify the entities and
    their relationships in your process:

    1. How experienced are you with normalization concepts?
    2. What is the purpose of the database?
    3. What are the questions you want this database to answer?
    4. Can the same part number be used on several structures?
    5. Is there a BOM number?

    Tables named Qty or Unit of Measure seem non-normalized to me.

    Based on your description, I see two tables

    tblGroups
    fGroupId Primary Key
    fgroup--(The category of each part no

    tblBom
    fBomId Primary Key
    fGroupId Foreign Key
    fpartnoID--given to it by ERP system.
    fpartno--(same as fbompart)
    fpartdesc--(same asfbomdesc)
    ftotqty--(qty used to make shelter)
    fbommeas--(unit of measure)

    Hope this helps,

    Dan

    Dan Dungan, Apr 12, 2012

  2. Dan Dungan

    Tony Toews Guest

    Re: Hi DuWayne,Here is a few questions that may help you identify the entities

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:00:23 GMT, DuWayne O'Neal <>
    wrote:

    >If i create the tables you have listed, how do I get approximatley 45000 parts transfered into the tables?

    You can use append queries. Trouble is you'll need one or two for
    each of your incoming tables. And maybe one for each of the child
    tables if any as, if you used autonumber primary keys, you might need
    to renumber the primary key of the child tables.

    This can be a large and tedious task.

    Tony

    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP

    Tony Toews, Apr 12, 2012

  3. Dan Dungan

    Dan Dungan Guest

    You wrote:
    > 1. Not to experienced.

    I'm still attempting to learn these concepts as well. Have you read
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100139? It will only take a few
    minutes to read.

    > 2. I use this database every day to order parts off the BOM, to build theshelters.

    How do you use it? What steps do you take to order parts?

    > 3. I want to be able to query different category of parts through a form using the Model of the shelter, which is the BOM table name. Each table is named after each shelter Model we build.

    I understand you want to query, but what query--what question are you
    trying to answer when you look at the table?

    > 4. Each of the BOM's dupicate part numbers.  All shelters use cement, so therefore the part number for cement is in each one, same for hundreds ofothe parts in each BOM.
    > 5. Again I use Model of shelters to name my tables, such as BCLX10, GIPD03, SUSA20, etc.
    >

    > If i create the tables you have listed, how do I get approximatley 45000 parts transfered into the tables?

    Are you familiar with append queries, as Tony mentioned?

    > Hope you can help further or recommend someone. I will create the tables and will get back with you.
    > Thanks again

    Dan

    Dan Dungan, Apr 13, 2012