    Is there a way to always get the favicon associated with the web site?

    If so, it would surprise me.
    But then, I am quite easily surprised also.

    webster72n, May 8, 2011

  2. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    wrote in message news:...

    On Sat, 7 May 2011 21:23:47 -0400, "webster72n" <>
    wrote:

    >wrote in message news:...
    >
    >IE is my default browser. However, I am creating many web site shortcuts
    >that will open with Firefox. So far, no problem. Whether I use IE or
    >Firefox, I don't always end up with the associated favicon in my
    >shortcut. Sometimes I get it - and sometimes I get the Firefox icon (or,
    >if I create the shortcut using IE, I get the IE favicon.
    >
    >Is there a way to always get the favicon associated with the web site?
    >

    > If so, it would surprise me.
    > But then, I am quite easily surprised also.

    I wish people wouldn't reply if they can't help. Besides being easily
    surprised, are you also lonely??????

    That would be your attribute, I suppose.
    You may have wanted to apply for a ride on the Discovery mission,
    if it were not too late.

    webster72n, May 9, 2011

  3. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    Your reply below is completely garbled. I suspect you didn't say all
    that your newsreader indicates you did, but there's no convenient way
    to tell. You would be well off to ditch WLM 2011 (for newsgroups, at
    least) and get something that can properly and coherently quote the
    message it's replying to.

    On 08 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    Nil, May 9, 2011
  4. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 08 May 2011, wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > What is WLM 2011? I'm using Forte Agent.

    WLM 20011 = Windows Live Mail 2011 (a.k.a. version 15).

    You're a little confused - I replied to "webster72n"'s message, not
    yours.

    Nil, May 9, 2011
  5. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 09 May 2011, wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > Thanks - and 'yes', I am very confused!!!!!!

    If you are, it's probably the fault of his newsreader, which makes no
    distinction between what he's saying and what you said. That makes it
    impossible to follow the conversation, unless you start looking at
    older messages to try to mentally reconstruct the series of posts.
    WLM2011 is an awful, stupid, broken program - Microsoft should be
    ashamed to have released it, and people should get rid if it ASAP.

    Nil, May 9, 2011
  6. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Nil" wrote in message news:Xns9EE07BBD27D50nilch1@130.133.4.11...

    On 09 May 2011, wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > Thanks - and 'yes', I am very confused!!!!!!

    If you are, it's probably the fault of his newsreader, which makes no
    distinction between what he's saying and what you said. That makes it
    impossible to follow the conversation, unless you start looking at
    older messages to try to mentally reconstruct the series of posts.
    WLM2011 is an awful, stupid, broken program - Microsoft should be
    ashamed to have released it, and people should get rid if it ASAP.

    The real problem is, the OP didn't get an answer to his question.
    By the looks of it he will not, either.
    All I tried to indicate was, that I didn't have a positive answer
    and there probably wouldn't be any.
    To distinguish my reply, I moved it in a hand full of spaces.
    What's wrong with that?

    webster72n, May 9, 2011
  7. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > "Nil" wrote in message
    >
    > On 09 May 2011, wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
    >
    >> Thanks - and 'yes', I am very confused!!!!!!

    > If you are, it's probably the fault of his newsreader, which makes
    > no distinction between what he's saying and what you said. That
    > makes it impossible to follow the conversation, unless you start
    > looking at older messages to try to mentally reconstruct the
    > series of posts. WLM2011 is an awful, stupid, broken program -
    > Microsoft should be ashamed to have released it, and people should
    > get rid if it ASAP.
    >
    > The real problem is, the OP didn't get an answer to his
    > question. By the looks of it he will not, either.
    > All I tried to indicate was, that I didn't have a positive
    > answer and there probably wouldn't be any.
    > To distinguish my reply, I moved it in a hand full of
    > spaces. What's wrong with that?

    What's wrong with that is that indented paragraphs don't distinguish
    between quoted and non-quoted material. Quote characters (usually ">")
    do.

    And what do you plan to do if someone else indents a paragraph?

    Every level of quotes will make it harder and harder to
    distinguish who said what, which obscures the meaning of
    the conversation and ends up attributing words to the
    wrong person.

    For example, your message claims that I typed the paragraph
    starting with "The real problem is..." I didn't say that.

    And your newsreader caused mine to claim that you typed the paragraph
    starting "If you are, it's probably..." You didn't.

    WLM2011 is severely broken, at least for newsgroups use.
    Maybe the email part of it is OK, I don't know, but the
    newsreader part makes a mess of everything it touches.

    Nil, May 9, 2011
  8. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Nil" wrote in message news:Xns9EE0B83DBFE50nilch1@130.133.4.11...

    On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > "Nil" wrote in message
    >
    > On 09 May 2011, wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
    >
    >> Thanks - and 'yes', I am very confused!!!!!!

    > If you are, it's probably the fault of his newsreader, which makes
    > no distinction between what he's saying and what you said. That
    > makes it impossible to follow the conversation, unless you start
    > looking at older messages to try to mentally reconstruct the
    > series of posts. WLM2011 is an awful, stupid, broken program -
    > Microsoft should be ashamed to have released it, and people should
    > get rid if it ASAP.
    >
    > The real problem is, the OP didn't get an answer to his
    > question. By the looks of it he will not, either.
    > All I tried to indicate was, that I didn't have a positive
    > answer and there probably wouldn't be any.
    > To distinguish my reply, I moved it in a hand full of
    > spaces. What's wrong with that?

    What's wrong with that is that indented paragraphs don't distinguish
    between quoted and non-quoted material. Quote characters (usually ">")
    do.

    And what do you plan to do if someone else indents a paragraph?

    Every level of quotes will make it harder and harder to
    distinguish who said what, which obscures the meaning of
    the conversation and ends up attributing words to the
    wrong person.

    For example, your message claims that I typed the paragraph
    starting with "The real problem is..." I didn't say that.

    And your newsreader caused mine to claim that you typed the paragraph
    starting "If you are, it's probably..." You didn't.

    WLM2011 is severely broken, at least for newsgroups use.
    Maybe the email part of it is OK, I don't know, but the
    newsreader part makes a mess of everything it touches.

    Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I didn't
    have any problems before.
    Because of it I shall refrain from further activity in
    this particular area and gracefully bow out.
    The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
    to me, but from now on I have to tread more carefully.
    Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and most probably
    will continue to use it.
    Thank you for arousing my awareness.

    webster72n, May 10, 2011
  9. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
    > didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
    > shall refrain from further activity
    > in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
    > The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
    > to me, but from now on I have to tread more
    > carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and most
    > probably will continue to use it. Thank you for
    > arousing my awareness.

    There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
    Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough to
    try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the current
    version and installing the previous version, Windows Live Mail 2009
    (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws, but at
    least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous message.

    I think this link to it on the Microsoft Download site still works:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c

    If not, here's a non-Microsoft source:

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_windows_live_mail/8305/

    Nil, May 10, 2011
  10. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Nil" wrote in message news:Xns9EE0F15B7A9A0nilch1@130.133.4.11...

    On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
    > didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
    > shall refrain from further activity
    > in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
    > The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
    > to me, but from now on I have to tread more
    > carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and most
    > probably will continue to use it. Thank you for
    > arousing my awareness.

    There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
    Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough to
    try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the current
    version and installing the previous version, Windows Live Mail 2009
    (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws, but at
    least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous message.

    But what happens to the stored data in WML2011?
    How can I preserve it before uninstalling the program?

    webster72n, May 10, 2011
  11. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > "Nil" wrote in message
    >
    > On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
    >
    >> Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
    >> didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
    >> shall refrain from further activity
    >> in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
    >> The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
    >> to me, but from now on I have to tread more
    >> carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and
    >> most probably will continue to use it. Thank you
    >> for arousing my awareness.

    > There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
    > Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough
    > to try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the
    > current version and installing the previous version, Windows Live
    > Mail 2009 (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws,
    > but at least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous
    > message.
    >
    > But what happens to the stored data in WML2011?
    > How can I preserve it before uninstalling the program?

    Here's a perfect example of how broken WLM2011 is - it doesn't
    distingish between what I said and what you said. Anyway...

    I downgraded from WLM2011 to WLM2009 and it preserved everything.
    I don't use it regularly, so I wasn't trying to be careful, and
    it wouldn't have mattered to me if it had lost everything, but
    all went well.

    If the stuff is valuable to you, though, you should back up
    your message store before attempting the downgrade. In WLM2009,
    you can export and import your messages and your account
    information from the File menu - presumably it works similarly
    in WLM2011.

    Nil, May 10, 2011
  12. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Nil" wrote in message news:Xns9EE1B6E8657A3nilch1@130.133.4.11...

    On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > "Nil" wrote in message
    >
    > On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
    >
    >> Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
    >> didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
    >> shall refrain from further activity
    >> in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
    >> The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
    >> to me, but from now on I have to tread more
    >> carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and
    >> most probably will continue to use it. Thank you
    >> for arousing my awareness.

    > There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
    > Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough
    > to try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the
    > current version and installing the previous version, Windows Live
    > Mail 2009 (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws,
    > but at least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous
    > message.
    >
    > But what happens to the stored data in WML2011?
    > How can I preserve it before uninstalling the program?

    Here's a perfect example of how broken WLM2011 is - it doesn't
    distingish between what I said and what you said. Anyway...

    I downgraded from WLM2011 to WLM2009 and it preserved everything.

    How exactly did you downgrade?
    Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail 2011'
    on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009', I was asked to
    first
    uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to do it,
    because
    I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except for this
    particular
    issue. Maybe I'll find a way <g>.

    webster72n, May 11, 2011
  13. webster72n

    webster72n, May 11, 2011
  14. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > How exactly did you downgrade?
    > Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail
    > 2011' on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009',
    > I was asked to
    > first
    > uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to
    > do it,
    > because
    > I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except
    > for this
    > particular
    > issue. Maybe I'll find a way <g>.

    OK. You'll create a lot of misunderstanding and confusion, but good
    luck.

    Nil, May 11, 2011
  15. On 5/10/2011, Nil posted:
    > On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    >> How exactly did you downgrade?
    >> Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail
    >> 2011' on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009',
    >> I was asked to
    >> first
    >> uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to
    >> do it,
    >> because
    >> I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except
    >> for this
    >> particular
    >> issue. Maybe I'll find a way <g>.

    > OK. You'll create a lot of misunderstanding and confusion, but good
    > luck.

    Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last two
    posts, I couldn't...

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, May 11, 2011
  16. webster72n

    Nil Guest

    On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    > Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
    > two posts, I couldn't...

    Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
    clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

    Nil, May 12, 2011
  17. On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
    > On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    >> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
    >> two posts, I couldn't...

    > Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
    > clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

    I guess so...

    :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, May 12, 2011
  18. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:...

    On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
    > On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <> wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    >> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
    >> two posts, I couldn't...

    > Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
    > clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

    I guess so...

    I don't quite agree.
    As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
    so,
    to remove the guess work <lol>.

    :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    webster72n, May 12, 2011
  19. On 5/12/2011, webster72n posted:

    > "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:...

    > On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
    >> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <> wrote in
    >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    >>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
    >>> two posts, I couldn't...

    >> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
    >> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

    > I guess so...

    > I don't quite agree.
    > As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
    > so,
    > to remove the guess work <lol>.

    > :)

    And they fail at that task (for me, anyway).

    Follow the excellent advice given to you - get and use a decent
    newsreader.

    In truth, they all have flaws, but it is best to choose flaws that
    don't aleniate the experts :)

    (I'm not really an expert, but I do OK.)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, May 13, 2011
  20. webster72n

    webster72n Guest

    "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:...

    On 5/12/2011, webster72n posted:

    > "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:...

    > On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
    >> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <> wrote in
    >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

    >>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
    >>> two posts, I couldn't...

    >> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
    >> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

    > I guess so...

    > I don't quite agree.
    > As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
    > so,
    > to remove the guess work <lol>.

    > :)

    And they fail at that task (for me, anyway).

    Follow the excellent advice given to you - get and use a decent
    newsreader.

    In truth, they all have flaws, but it is best to choose flaws that
    don't aleniate

    and that's something we don't dare want to do?!

    webster72n, May 13, 2011