Re: Local Area Network Connection Has Constant Activity?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Char Jackson, Jul 29, 2012.

  1. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:56:03 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a bit of a problem.
    >
    >In the last couple of days, my Network connection runs all the time
    >downloading something or checking something, I'm not sure which but it
    >seem to have a ton of packets sent and received. But nothing is going
    >on, most of the time the computer is setting idle - but this activity
    >just goes on and on. I am running WinXP with all updates, I have a
    >Local Area Network to also link my laptop to the network via a Linksys
    >4-Port Router which I have used for quite some time. As I said, this
    >activity just started in the last couple of days and I cannot figure
    >out what is causing it or how to fix it.

    You don't mention what problem you're having. If you're just curious
    about the traffic, there are some things you can do. Off the top of my
    head, and in no particular order:

    a)go to Computer Management and expand the Shared Folders branch. Look
    at Sessions and Open Files to see if any clues jump out.

    b)from a Command Prompt, run "netstat -a" to see what connections are
    open.

    c)in Task Manager, select the Networking tab and look at the Network
    Utilization to see how much traffic is involved.

    d)pull the WAN cable from the router to see if the traffic stops. If
    it stops, it was LAN-WAN traffic. If it doesn't stop, it's LAN-LAN
    (intraLAN) traffic. Not a definitive test, but helps determine where
    the endpoints may be.

    e)use a packet capture program such as Wireshark to view the actual
    traffic. This will allow you to see the source and destination IP's
    and ports, the traffic type, and the actual payload. Expect to be
    overwhelmed if you haven't been here before.

    f)'other' - for everything not mentioned above, including malware
    scans with something other than Norton.

    >Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

    I'm still not sure what problem you're having. Every LAN has (nearly)
    constant activity.

    Char Jackson, Jul 29, 2012

  2. Char Jackson

    VanguardLH Guest

    "charliec" wrote:

    > The constant activity is under "Activity" on the Local Area
    > Connection Status window, tons of packets are being "sent" and
    > "received" - just in the last 45 minutes, 165,000+ packets sent,
    > 237,000+ received. I've never had this kind of activity on the
    > network when not doing anything.

    So if it wasn't a hardware change in the last few days when this
    behavior changed, what software have you installed? Might be time to
    consider a 3rd party firewall so you get prompted when a process want to
    make a connection and you can see to where it is connecting. TCPview
    will tell what currently has a connection but it won't show you what had
    a connection but is no longer connected plus it's not going to regulate
    what can connect to where.

    First use the utilities I mentioned in my other post. Those will likely
    show the culprit of the network traffic. Could be, for example, your
    anti-virus, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Windows Update, and other auto-
    update features in several apps that you left configured to do these
    background and automated updates without ever prompting you about them.
    Any apps you have installed that have an auto-update function should be
    configured to ask you for permission to install the update, not just
    blindly modify your computer setup.

    VanguardLH, Jul 29, 2012

  3. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:51:22 -0700, wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:43:19 -0500, Char Jackson <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You don't mention what problem you're having.

    >The problem is, this constant activity is causing my computer to slow
    >down and freeze at time - did not happen until a couple of days ago.
    >No new hardware installed.

    I'm extremely skeptical that the network traffic is the reason why
    your computer is slowing down and freezing. There simply isn't nearly
    enough traffic present to account for that. The traffic could be a
    side effect, but not the root cause, so you may or may not be chasing
    ghosts.

    >>c)in Task Manager, select the Networking tab and look at the Network
    >>Utilization to see how much traffic is involved.

    >It appears to be at 1% or less most of the time.

    See what I mean? 1% isn't significant.

    In Task Manager, keep an eye on CPU utilization to get a feel for
    what's normal, and compare that to the utilization when things get
    hairy. If the utilization spikes or even max's out as the system
    slows, flip over to the Processes tab to see if the offending process
    reveals itself. If it's malware, it may not, but it's worth a shot.

    >>d)pull the WAN cable from the router to see if the traffic stops. If
    >>it stops, it was LAN-WAN traffic. If it doesn't stop, it's LAN-LAN
    >>(intraLAN) traffic. Not a definitive test, but helps determine where
    >>the endpoints may be.

    >Looked at the box, but am not sure what the WAN cable is - have 3
    >cables in it (not including the power cable), one to the computer, one
    >to the Internet, and one that I can plug my laptop into.

    The one going to the "Internet" is the WAN cable. If your phantom
    traffic is host-to-host within your LAN, disconnecting the WAN cable
    won't stop that traffic. However, if something on your computer is
    talking to an endpoint on the Internet, then pulling the WAN cable
    will make it stop. It's a very crude test.

    Char Jackson, Jul 30, 2012
  4. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:34:36 -0700, wrote:

    >>On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:47:03 -0500, edfair <> wrote:

    >>Take a look at processes running. I've seen wupdate get borked and two
    >>instances attempting to do updates beating each other over the head.

    >By "processes running", you mean in ctrl/alt/delete window?

    It's called Task Manager, and Ctrl-Alt-Del is only one way to access
    it. You can also right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager
    from the context menu, among others. Once Task Manager is running,
    select the Processes tab.

    >In most cases, I always have MS Outlook 2010 and My Computer minimized
    >on the toolbar, and nothing else running. The computer is idle, but
    >the Local Area Network Icon still shows a lot of activity. Checkint
    >it, I see many packets being sent and received on the Network.

    I still don't think network activity is necessarily a bad thing. Did
    you ever do any of the things that were suggested to track it down?

    Char Jackson, Aug 1, 2012
  5. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 21:25:38 -0700, wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:21:13 -0500, Char Jackson <>
    >wrote:

    >>>By "processes running", you mean in ctrl/alt/delete window?

    >>It's called Task Manager, and Ctrl-Alt-Del is only one way to access
    >>it. You can also right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager
    >>from the context menu, among others. Once Task Manager is running,
    >>select the Processes tab.
    >>
    >>>In most cases, I always have MS Outlook 2010 and My Computer minimized
    >>>on the toolbar, and nothing else running. The computer is idle, but
    >>>the Local Area Network Icon still shows a lot of activity. Checkint
    >>>it, I see many packets being sent and received on the Network.

    >>I still don't think network activity is necessarily a bad thing. Did
    >>you ever do any of the things that were suggested to track it down?

    >I worked with Dell on it and they found a virus on my machine, cleaned
    >it up and things seem to be going better now.

    I guess you'll be dumping Spy Sweeper, Spybot, and Norton now, eh?

    Char Jackson, Aug 2, 2012
  6. Char Jackson

    dkean

    Joined: