Re: Left speaker won't work.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Bob Willard, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. Bob Willard

    Bob Willard Guest

    Docient wrote:
    > Can't get my left speaker to work, and the right one isn't real strong or
    > clear.
    >
    > Have tried all the volume and balance settings.
    >
    > Have tried 2 different sound cards. One on board, the other a PCI, which is
    > new.
    >
    > Have tried 3 different sets of speakers. Two sets of which are new.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Try cleaning the connectors on the audio cables; both PC to master speaker
    and master speaker to slave speaker. I've fixed audio problems on my PCs
    several times by simple cleaning, and it is easy: unplug each cable, and
    wipe each connector with a clean cloth.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Sep 30, 2008

  2. Bob Willard

    Paul Guest

    Docient wrote:
    > "Bob Willard" <> wrote in message
    > | Docient wrote:
    > | > Can't get my left speaker to work, and the right one isn't real strong
    > or
    > | > clear.
    > | >
    > | > Have tried all the volume and balance settings.
    > | >
    > | > Have tried 2 different sound cards. One on board, the other a PCI, which
    > is
    > | > new.
    > | >
    > | > Have tried 3 different sets of speakers. Two sets of which are new.
    > | >
    > | > Any ideas?
    > | >

    > | Try cleaning the connectors on the audio cables; both PC to master speaker
    > | and master speaker to slave speaker. I've fixed audio problems on my PCs
    > | several times by simple cleaning, and it is easy: unplug each cable, and
    > | wipe each connector with a clean cloth.
    > | --
    > | Cheers, Bob
    >
    > Thanks Bob, but everything is new.

    Use a Walkman or other audio device known to have a working line level output.
    Connect that to the new speakers and test the speakers.

    My $20 speakers have a LED on the front, which remains on at all times,
    even when my computer is sleeping or off. I would expect the LED to
    stay lit, if they were my speakers.

    Bad cabling could do it, like if the cabling was worn, or there
    was a bad connection. But when that cabling is used, with the
    Walkman, you may get a better idea.

    Note that some Creative sound cards, and Creative speaker sets, use
    weird audio connectors. They may have four contacts instead of three.
    For most other sets of stuff, the usual three contacts (Tip, Ring, Sleeve)
    on the 1/8" connector, are what you'd expect to see. Here is a picture
    of the usual 1/8" connector.

    http://www.chantalcurrid.com/Remote/Images/PStereo.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Bob Willard

    Peter Foldes Guest

    You have multiposted this and you got answers all over the place. DO NOT multipost please crosspost instead if needed and this did not need

    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Oct 1, 2008