Re: Laptop processor performance Q

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Jan Alter, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. Jan Alter

    Jan Alter Guest

    "TVeblen" <> wrote in message

    > "TVeblen" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm helping my daughter buy a new laptop. The minimal specs we were
    >> working with were Core 2 Duo T5xxx ; 15 in display ; nVidia GeForce 8600
    >> GT ; 2GB RAM ; 250GB HDD ; DVD-RW ; PS/2 port
    >>
    >> We found several good choices, all around $700. But we also found a
    >> Compaq Presario F767NR on sale at a big box for $450. It meets all the
    >> specs except one: it has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor at 2Ghz. I know
    >> the Turion doesn't perform as well as the 5xxx series Core 2 Duo (Tom's
    >> benchmarks), but how much real world difference would one experience?
    >> (She will be doing some film editing and may be using "Final Cut Studio
    >> 6" and "Avid Express Pro" - if anyone has any experience with those).
    >>
    >> I'm not a laptop guy. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > Sorry: the Turion is a TL-60

    Make note of the laptop's weight, how long a charged battery will last, and
    rotational speed of the hdd., among other things folks may point out for
    comparison. Sorry I can't give you any experience with the Turion CPU.
    --
    Jan Alter

    Jan Alter, Jul 23, 2008