Re: Is my hard disk failing and how to replace it?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Rod Speed, Mar 3, 2011.

  1. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > I did some reading in the archives and found several suggestions
    > to use Everest Home Edition. I downloaded it, but am not sure which
    > options to select to get it to test the hard drive. I ran a couple of
    > reports, but each one finished in just a couple of seconds, so I don't
    > think it could have scanned the disk much.

    Everest doesnt scan the drive, it just gets the SMART data from the drive
    and thats done very quickly.

    > Which report do I run to get a status report on the health of the hard disk?

    Storage/SMART, but you've already found that.

    If you do want to do a scan of the drive, smartctl does that, but the report
    is nowhere near as readable as the Everest SMART report and since you
    have got that now, there isnt any point in running the scan, the drive is fine.

    Rod Speed, Mar 3, 2011