Re: IE6 mem usage and virtual memory grows and grows until crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by watsupwithIE6@somehelppleez.org, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in

    > <> wrote in message
    >> At about the 200 mg or mem mark my IE6 just ceases to open new pages.
    >> The right click menu won't open, and even Task Manager won't open, or
    >> if it
    >> does, I can't see the entire window.
    >>
    >> Obviously the system is low on memory at that point. I've tried
    >> running Hijackthis and did some spyware scans. Nothing unusual shows
    >> up.
    >>
    >> I just wait a moment, close any running exe files, open task manager,
    >> and close the remaining IExplore.exe (which is in the correct
    >> directory btw.)
    >>

    >> I'm wondering if the Spybot BHO or SiteAdvisor's BHO is causing a
    >> problem. SiteAdvisor also has an O18 Protocol loading, and an O4
    >> executable file loading. That little important piece of freeware is
    >> becoming a pain ever since McAfee bought it. The first versions
    >> didn't load that much in the registry. Now it first takes you to
    >> their nag ad page before you can check
    >> on a site.
    >>
    >> Is the O16 Windows Genuine Genuine Advantage Validation Tool
    >> necessary, or can I use Hijackthis to delete it?
    >>
    >> Any solutions (excuse the crosspost but I thought that the more the
    >> merrier
    >> who contribute an answer).
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    The article states:

    >The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and

    rebuild. That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely
    compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat
    the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your
    applications). Alternatively, you could of course work on your resume
    instead, but I don’t want to see you doing that.<

    What makes you think my system has been hacked or compromised?

    , Dec 22, 2006

  2. Mr. Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>At about the 200 mg or mem mark my IE6 just ceases to open new pages.
    >>>The right click menu won't open, and even Task Manager won't open, or
    >>>if it
    >>>does, I can't see the entire window.
    >>>
    >>>Obviously the system is low on memory at that point. I've tried
    >>>running Hijackthis and did some spyware scans. Nothing unusual shows
    >>>up.
    >>>
    >>>I just wait a moment, close any running exe files, open task manager,
    >>>and close the remaining IExplore.exe (which is in the correct
    >>>directory btw.)
    >>>

    >>>I'm wondering if the Spybot BHO or SiteAdvisor's BHO is causing a
    >>>problem. SiteAdvisor also has an O18 Protocol loading, and an O4
    >>>executable file loading. That little important piece of freeware is
    >>>becoming a pain ever since McAfee bought it. The first versions
    >>>didn't load that much in the registry. Now it first takes you to
    >>>their nag ad page before you can check
    >>>on a site.
    >>>
    >>>Is the O16 Windows Genuine Genuine Advantage Validation Tool
    >>>necessary, or can I use Hijackthis to delete it?
    >>>
    >>>Any solutions (excuse the crosspost but I thought that the more the
    >>>merrier
    >>>who contribute an answer).
    >>>

    >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx
    >>

    > The article states:
    >

    > >The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and

    > rebuild. That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely
    > compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat
    > the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your
    > applications). Alternatively, you could of course work on your resume
    > instead, but I don’t want to see you doing that.<
    >

    > What makes you think my system has been hacked or compromised?

    Do you think that all of a sudden all the problems you're having with
    your computer with things not working or going out of control, that it
    has not been compromised as you click on everything under the Sun with
    the happy fingers? The problems you're having just don't start
    happening out of the clear blue sky.

    If you can't find a fix and you may not find one or you do find a fix
    and it was due to malware, then can you trust the machine anymore?

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 22, 2006

    "Mr. Arnold" <> wrote in news:1ZYih.2743$w91.1248
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > If you can't find a fix and you may not find one or you do find a fix
    > and it was due to malware, then can you trust the machine anymore?

    So you're saying that there's no reason to buy AV or anti-spyware programs
    because even if they catch something and fix the problem, you still can't
    trust the machine.

    What's the point of Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper and
    all the rest then?

    Your logic seems to contradict the rest of the industry.

    , Dec 23, 2006