Re: How can I refer to a row

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by trip_to_tokyo, Jul 5, 2011.

  1. On Jul 5, 5:57 pm, Mark F <> wrote:
    > I want to refer to a fixed row in the spreadsheet, but to the column
    > that matches the column that the reference is in, but I want to
    > use a name for the fixed row.
    >
    > for example, Row 2 has the multipliers that I need in the formula, so
    > I now have in cell F10
    >     +F$2*{etc}
    >
    > For clarity, and perhaps for moving things around, instead of using $2
    > as part of the cell reference, I'd like to be able to use a
    > "Row label".
    > and have something similar to:
    >     +F${Row label}{etc}
    > in cell F10
    >
    > Does this concept exist?
    >
    > I tried Insert > Name > Label
    > but it seemed like I could only name a part of a row or a column, not
    > define something to be a row number.
    >
    > I thought about:
    > 1. insert a column,
    > 2. label the cell in that column and that row as
    >      MultiplierRowNumber,
    > 3. put +ROW() in the cell MultiplierRowNumber.
    >
    > I then might be able to get the value that I am interested in by using
    > the ADDRESS function, MultiplierRowNumber, and the number of the
    > current cell, but that seemed like it was too complicated to be the
    > right way to do things.

    EXCEL 2007
    Click, for example, the number 2 in row 2 so that the entire row is
    highlighted.

    Formulas tab / Defined Names group / click on Name Manager.

    The Name Manager should open.

    Click:-

    New . . .

    - in top left hand corner.