Discussion in 'Windows Vista Hardware' started by Natéag, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. Natéag

    Natéag Guest

    Disregard.

    I now have a single partition, and this time there does not
    seem to be any problem.

    I hhope that is still true after a reboot.

    Natéag, Aug 21, 2009

  2. Natéag

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Natéag.

    Well, as usual, it depends. :^}

    To quote a reply by Morgan.Che, MSFT, Moderator of the File Services and
    Storage forum in TechNet:

    <paste>
    Based on my research, for NTFS "The maximum partition size is 2TB. NTFS
    actually has an upper limit of 16 Exabyte (quintillion bytes, or 16 million
    TB), but since current industry standard limits the Partition Tables to 2 to
    the 32nd power sectors (with 512B sectors, that's 2 TB), the actual current
    upper limit is 2 TB.

    However, as for GPT partition, NTRS can support 256T.
    </paste>

    Since few of us are into GPT partitions, I'll assume you mean using NTFS on
    the typical MBR HDD, so the practical answer to your question is 2 TB. So
    your 1 GB partition should be fine.

    Note that this is the maximum size of a PARTITION. A single HDD can have
    multiple (at least 4) partitions, so the limit for a physical disk is many
    (at least 8) TB, even within the limits imposed by Vista x86 and NTFS. And
    a "drive" letter always refers to a single volume (primary partition or
    logical drive in an extended partition), not to an entire HDD.

    For anyone who really wants to pursue this subject further, this FAQ
    pre-dates Vista and gets pretty technical, but it is still interesting - and
    eye-opening:
    Windows and GPT FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

    The Help file in Vista's Disk Management also discusses much of this.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Aug 21, 2009

  3. Natéag

    dennis Guest

    R. C. White wrote:

    > Note that this is the maximum size of a PARTITION. A single HDD can
    > have multiple (at least 4) partitions, so the limit for a physical disk
    > is many (at least 8) TB, even within the limits imposed by Vista x86 and
    > NTFS.

    The 2TiB limitation with MBR-partiting goes for the entire drive. The
    partition offsets are absolute and only 32bits can be used.

    dennis, Aug 21, 2009
  4. Natéag

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Dennis.