Re: Frustrated........

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access' started by Brendan Reynolds, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Part of the problem is that the questions you have been asking are extremely
    open-ended. "What do macros do?" "What does the criteria clause of a query
    do?" (It's a clause, not a function). Whole books, or at least several
    chapters, could be written around these questions. And as no one wants to
    write a book without getting paid for it, many people will avoid such
    questions. You're much more likely to get answers here to more specific
    questions.

    That said, here's an example of what you're asking about, using the
    Northwind sample database ...

    Open Northwind.mdb and open the 'Suppliers' form in design view. Click on
    the line between the two grey bars labelled 'Form Header' and 'Detail' and
    drag down about an inch or so to give yourself some space to work with in
    the form's header section. Select the combo box control in the toolbox, then
    click in the header section of the form. Assuming control wizards are
    active, you'll see a dialog captioned "Combo Box Wizard". If you don't see
    it, delete the combo box you just placed in the form header section, click
    the control wizards button on the toolbar, and try again.

    Once you get into the Combo Box Wizard, select the third option, "Find a
    record on my form based on the value I selected in my combo box". Click
    Next. In the second form of the dialog, select the first two fields,
    SupplierID and CompanyName. Click Next. In the next two forms, accept the
    defaults (this is only an example, after all) and click Next, Finish.

    Switch to form view, and you'll find that when you select a company name
    from the new combo box, the form will display the record for that supplier.
    If you want to see how the wizard does this, switch back to design view, and
    examine the After Update event procedure of the new combo box.

    --
    Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
    http://brenreyn.blogspot.com

    The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
    me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
    this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
    from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
    GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
    being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
    newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
    a useable e-mail address at the URL above.

    "BaDonkaDonk" <> wrote in message
    > I don't really understand Access and I used to know how to use it but it

    has
    > been a couple of years and I can't seem to figure this program out. All I
    > want to do is to make my companies database easier by being able to type a
    > name of a contractor we have and all of the information about that

    contractor
    > will come up for an example, the name, address, phone number, etc. will

    all
    > show up. I have been trying for weeks to get some help and I don't know

    what
    > to do, and access is really starting to drive me nuts. What do I do to

    solve

    Brendan Reynolds, Aug 11, 2004