Re: Excessive Page File Activity?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by VanguardLH, May 1, 2012.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    TMitchell wrote:

    > Windows XP SP 3 on a Lenovo/ThinkPad T60P laptop with 2 Gb memory. Task
    > Manager ALWAYS shows Page File usage to be above 1.21 Gb, and the
    > computer runs everything very slowly. Is this amount of page file usage
    > normal even during idle times of no program activity?

    So what is consuming all your real system memory? In a command shell,
    run:

    tasklist | sort /+59 /r

    where /+59 says to sort on the "Mem Usage" column. If your tasklist
    output has this column start in a different position then you'll have to
    adjust this number.

    If you just want to show the top memory hogging processes, using the
    filter parameter to the tasklist command, as in:

    tasklist /fi "memusage ge 100000"

    which shows only those processes eating up 100MB, or more. Change the
    value to whatever cutoff you want. To see how to use tasklist.exe, run:

    tasklist /?

    So have you yet rebooted your host to restart Windows? Processes that
    crash aren't releasing their memory allocation so if you have had lots
    of crashes then lots of memory could still be allocated to remnant
    processes or page space. The other problem is that you have a program
    with a memory leak. It keeps consuming ever more memory (and eventually
    page space). Add the "virtual memory size" column in Task Manager's
    Processes tab to see the VM Size column.

    Also read:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/perfguru...le-usage-as-reported-in-the-task-manager.aspx

    If you run the Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) and then add a graph
    for the [total] page file consumed, you might see the actual usage is
    small.

    VanguardLH, May 1, 2012

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    >> In a command shell, run:
    >>
    >> tasklist | sort /+59 /r

    > I get "'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file."

    tasklist.exe comes with Windows. It is under:

    C:\Windows\system32

    If you don't have it then your Windows installation is incomplete (it is
    not a component you can omit using Add/Remove Windows Components). Did
    you try to run it from there? If you are in some other folder and
    running tasklist.exe doesn't have Windows find it under the system32
    folder then your system PATH environment variable is screwed up. The
    system PATH variable, by default, contains %SystemRoot%\system32.

    > Any reason you suggested this over Task Manager itself, which produces a
    > dynamic list?

    Ever try to get a user to post the list from the Processes tab in Task
    Manager? A lot easier to run tasklist and copy its output into a reply
    post.

    VanguardLH, May 2, 2012

  3. VanguardLH

    Paul Guest

    J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
    > In message <jnqimv$843$>, VanguardLH <>
    > writes:

    >>> I get "'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    >>> operable program or batch file."

    >> tasklist.exe comes with Windows. It is under:
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\system32
    >>
    >> If you don't have it then your Windows installation is incomplete (it is
    >> not a component you can omit using Add/Remove Windows Components). Did
    >> you try to run it from there? If you are in some other folder and
    >> running tasklist.exe doesn't have Windows find it under the system32
    >> folder then your system PATH environment variable is screwed up. The
    >> system PATH variable, by default, contains %SystemRoot%\system32.

    > I've just got
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32>tasklist /?
    > 'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file.
    >
    > (Cut and pasted from a command window.) System is XP Home SP3, as it
    > came new (at least, I certainly haven't removed that sort of thing). It
    > isn't by any chance something not included in Home, is it? "dir task*.*"
    > in ...\system32 gives taskman.exe and taskmgr.exe only.
    >>
    >>> Any reason you suggested this over Task Manager itself, which produces a
    >>> dynamic list?

    >> Ever try to get a user to post the list from the Processes tab in Task
    >> Manager? A lot easier to run tasklist and copy its output into a reply
    >> post.

    > Understood. If they've got tasklist.

    Tasklist is available in WinXP Pro, but not in WinXP Home.

    Someone took me to task months ago, when I suggested using that,
    and then it was pointed out that not everybody had a copy. It
    means I can't suggest "tasklist /svc" universally. I figured
    since it was on my copy of Pro, everyone had one.

    Paul

    Paul, May 2, 2012
  4. VanguardLH

    Paul Guest

    TMitchell wrote:
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> TMitchell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows XP SP 3 on a Lenovo/ThinkPad T60P laptop with 2 Gb memory. Task
    >>> Manager ALWAYS shows Page File usage to be above 1.21 Gb, and the
    >>> computer runs everything very slowly. Is this amount of page file usage
    >>> normal even during idle times of no program activity?

    >> So what is consuming all your real system memory? In a command shell,
    >> run:
    >>
    >> tasklist | sort /+59 /r
    >>
    >> where /+59 says to sort on the "Mem Usage" column. If your tasklist
    >> output has this column start in a different position then you'll have to
    >> adjust this number.

    > Whenever I run "tasklist" from the "Run" command or from its ".exe"
    > file, I see the "dos-like" screen pop up and produce a list of items
    > then vanish in less than a second. How do I get the output file to
    > pause so I can read it and/or save so I can print it out?

    Start : Programs : Accessories : Command Prompt

    When you do that, you get a permanently visible MSDOS window.

    Then, in the MSDOS window, type your command.

    When you're finished, dismiss it by typing "exit" as a command.
    Or use the "X" in the upper right hand corner.

    It's possible to do copy and paste from there.
    The behavior seems to change with every OS revision,
    so do some careful experiments first, before getting
    carried away.

    Paul

    Paul, May 3, 2012
  5. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    TMitchell wrote:

    > Whenever I run "tasklist" from the "Run" command or from its ".exe"
    > file, I see the "dos-like" screen pop up and produce a list of items
    > then vanish in less than a second. How do I get the output file to
    > pause so I can read it and/or save so I can print it out?

    Follow Paul's advice. tasklist, like many utilities included in
    Windows, is a console-mode program. It is a console program, not a GUI
    program. That means it spews its output to what is called stdout
    (standard output) which is what you see in the console ("dos-like
    window"). When you run the program, it opens a console to show its
    output; however, when the program exits then *it* doesn't need the
    console anymore so it closes. To keep a console window loaded before,
    during, and after running a console-mode program means YOU must first
    open a console window. Do this by loading a command shell by running
    "cmd.exe" which then opens its own console window. Then run your
    console-mode program inside the shell.

    Since you go a list of output from the tasklist command (and then the
    window disappeared) makes it look like you have something better than
    the Home Edition of Windows XP. "Windows XP SP-3" doesn't say if you
    have the Home or Professional version. tasklist along with many other
    utilities and functions are not available in the crippled Home version.

    While you can run tasklist in a shell (so its console window remains
    after tasklist exits), you'll end up having to copy-n-paste all the
    output to put into a reply post here. Rather than try to copy by
    dragging the mouse over the currently displayed lines and then have to
    repeat for the other output lines that you have to scroll to, just
    redirect the command's output to a file, as in running:

    tasklist | sort /+59 /r > c:\mytasks.txt

    Then run "notepad c:\mytasks.txt" to view the file and use Ctrl+A and
    Ctrl+C to copy it all and then Ctrl+V to paste it all into a reply here.
    Then delete the no-longer-needed c:\mytasks.txt file.

    FYI: What the above command does is run tasklist, pipe its stdout to the
    sort command which does a reverse sort starting on text in column 59 and
    then redirects that sorted output into a file. All of this was to use a
    command to get outputted a list that Task Manager won't give you. You
    could even run that command line in Start->Run without having to first
    open a console (by loading a command shell) since the console would
    disappear but the output would get stored in the .txt file that you
    could view with an editor.

    VanguardLH, May 3, 2012