Re: E-Mail Quandry

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Mike Ring, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Mike Ring

    Mike Ring Guest

    POKO <> wrote in

    > My Outlook Express has conked out - receives but wont send so I
    > thought "time for a new one". Downloaded Pegasus from ftp site but
    > craps out on a page fault immediately. Can't get to the Pegasus site
    > to look around. Any help appreciated.

    I've tried a load and what I really wanted was a prog that looked and
    worked just like OE, which with all its faults, has an interface which
    suits me.

    I've been using roundabout, but it does not seem to save panel sizes, but
    one day tey'll fix that.

    http://roundabout.sourceforge.net/

    ........(copied from a post a couple of days ago):-

    OT, but for an emailer check out either the latest Mozilla suite with its
    emailer, or if you don't want the bulk of the whole suite, the email
    program is being split out as Thunderbird. It has Bayesian spam filtering
    built in which for me is a must have (at least until some anti-spam laws
    are enacted.)

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

    It is a newsreader as well, but I prefer XNews. The combo of XNews and
    Thunderbird or Mozilla is rather nice. (And Mozilla Firebird for the
    browser of course.)

    Dennis Roark

    I've been using this for a couple of days and it looks very good indeed,
    though it appears very slow to start, and Dennis didn't explain about the 9
    meg zipped download for an 80 kb .exe!

    However give it a whirl, my experience is that replacing OE is a long and
    dusty road, so the sooner you start..., I got very close to trying OE6
    again but the memory of how badly it crashed when compacting DONT DO THAT
    databases put me off that.

    Dawn <http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn> may help you with the address
    book

    And DBExtract (you'll have to google for that), will get your emails

    HTH

    Mike R

    Mike Ring, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Mike Ring

    jjm Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:03:36 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring wrote:

    > POKO <> wrote in
    >
    >> My Outlook Express has conked out - receives but wont send so I
    >> thought "time for a new one". Downloaded Pegasus from ftp site but
    >> craps out on a page fault immediately. Can't get to the Pegasus site
    >> to look around. Any help appreciated.

    freeware
    http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/Calypso/

    works great