Re: Dying/Broken USB external enclosure HDD?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2012.

  1. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ant <> wrote

    > I think I have a dying external HDD in an Antec enclosure (USB).

    You into necrophilia ?

    > I haven't used it for months until today when I wanted to do some backups.
    > http://pastie.org/private/kyewx2ur1w74h5pah6lrdw from gsmartctl v0.8.6-2
    > for Windows after an extended self test (supposed to take almost four
    > hours to finish).

    I don’t find those readable at all, try Everest or HDTune

    > Chkdsk, copy, etc. get stuck eventually. I tried two different
    > Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    > Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report on
    that.

    Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2012

  2. Rod Speed

    Justin Guest

    On 8/8/12 12:52 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
    > Ant <> wrote
    >
    >> I think I have a dying external HDD in an Antec enclosure (USB).

    > You into necrophilia ?
    >
    >> I haven't used it for months until today when I wanted to do some
    >> backups.
    >> http://pastie.org/private/kyewx2ur1w74h5pah6lrdw from gsmartctl v0.8.6-2
    >> for Windows after an extended self test (supposed to take almost four
    >> hours to finish).

    > I don’t find those readable at all, try Everest or HDTune
    >
    >> Chkdsk, copy, etc. get stuck eventually. I tried two different
    >> Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    >> Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    > Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report
    > on that.

    Western Digital sucks?
    Since when?

    Justin, Aug 8, 2012

  3. Rod Speed

    Arno Guest

    Justin <> wrote:
    > On 8/8/12 12:52 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    >>> Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    >> Likely given that it?s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report
    >> on that.
    >>

    > Western Digital sucks?
    > Since when?

    All consumer drives suck. Some models more, some models less.
    Consumer-grade drives are made as chaply as they can get away
    with, wich is basically the consumer's fault. The only exception
    with regard to reliability may have been Samsung, but that
    is over now, I guess.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    ----

    Arno, Aug 8, 2012
  4. Rod Speed

    Justin Guest

    On 8/8/12 1:51 AM, Arno wrote:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >> On 8/8/12 12:52 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> Likely given that it?s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report
    >>> on that.
    >>>

    >> Western Digital sucks?
    >> Since when?

    > All consumer drives suck. Some models more, some models less.
    > Consumer-grade drives are made as chaply as they can get away
    > with, wich is basically the consumer's fault. The only exception
    > with regard to reliability may have been Samsung, but that
    > is over now, I guess.
    >
    > Arno

    Shit.
    Talk about a major downer.

    Justin, Aug 8, 2012
  5. Rod Speed

    Arno Guest

    Ant <> wrote:
    > On 8/7/2012 9:52 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

    [...]
    >>> Chkdsk, copy, etc. get stuck eventually. I tried two different
    >>> Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    >>> Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    >> Likely given that it?s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report
    >> on that.

    > SmartCtl's results were too technical? :(

    For somebody as clueless as Rod, yes.

    Arno

    Arno, Aug 8, 2012
  6. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Justin <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Ant <> wrote

    >>> I think I have a dying external HDD in an Antec enclosure (USB).

    >> You into necrophilia ?

    >>> I haven't used it for months until today when I wanted to do some
    >>> backups.
    >>> http://pastie.org/private/kyewx2ur1w74h5pah6lrdw from gsmartctl v0.8.6-2
    >>> for Windows after an extended self test (supposed to take almost four
    >>> hours to finish).

    >> I don’t find those readable at all, try Everest or HDTune

    >>> Chkdsk, copy, etc. get stuck eventually. I tried two different
    >>> Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    >>> Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    >> Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report on
    >> that.

    > Western Digital sucks?

    More than Samsung, anyway.

    > Since when?

    Years now.

    Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2012
  7. Rod Speed

    Justin Guest

    On 8/8/12 3:07 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
    > Justin <> wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Ant <> wrote

    >>> You into necrophilia ?

    >>> I don’t find those readable at all, try Everest or HDTune

    >>> Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART
    >>> report on that.

    >> Western Digital sucks?

    > More than Samsung, anyway.
    >
    >> Since when?

    > Years now.

    That's the pits!
    Western Digital is where I keep all my stuff!

    Justin, Aug 8, 2012
  8. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ant <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> I haven't used it for months until today when I wanted to do some
    >>> backups.
    >>> http://pastie.org/private/kyewx2ur1w74h5pah6lrdw from gsmartctl v0.8.6-2
    >>> for Windows after an extended self test (supposed to take almost four
    >>> hours to finish).

    >> I don’t find those readable at all, try Everest or HDTune

    > OK, I assume the old versions again. :/ Also, I ran gsmartctl's extended
    > self tests twice. It kept showing the same exact LBA result and at 10%
    > done. It seems like something is bad in the spot.

    >>> Chkdsk, copy, etc. get stuck eventually. I tried two different
    >>> Windows computers too and both had problems with this drive.

    >>> Do I assume this is a physical HDD problem? :(

    >> Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report on
    >> that.

    > SmartCtl's results were too technical? :(

    Nar, don’t include the raw data for each field.

    Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2012
  9. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Ant <> wrote

    >>> I haven't used it for months until today when I wanted to do some
    >>> backups.
    >>> http://pastie.org/private/kyewx2ur1w74h5pah6lrdw from gsmartctl v0.8.6-2
    >>> for Windows after an extended self test (supposed to take almost four
    >>> hours to finish).

    >> I don't find those readable at all,

    That was just my brain fart, missed the scroll bar that hid the raw data.

    > try Everest or HDTune

    > Very old Everest didn't see the drive. HDTune v5.00 Pro trial did:
    > http://i.imgur.com/Pxd9w.gif ...
    > It didn't like that UDMA CRC error count. :(

    Likely that as just due to the drive going missing during disk activity.

    Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2012
  10. Rod Speed

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 8 Aug 2012 05:51:56 GMT, Arno <> put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >The only exception with regard to reliability may have been Samsung,
    >but that is over now, I guess.

    I believe Seagate/Samsung HDDs are still just Samsungs with a Seagate
    badge:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barrac...ARE-the-so-called-Samsung-HD204UI/td-p/166118

    Seagate are/were saying that they would soon drop Samsung's 3.5"
    models but would hang on to their 2.5" drives (because they currently
    have a higher data density).

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Aug 8, 2012
  11. Rod Speed

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 03:41:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Ant <> wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Likely given that it’s a WD, but I'd want to see a proper SMART report on
    >>> that.

    >> SmartCtl's results were too technical? :(

    >Nar, don’t include the raw data for each field.

    Er, move the slider to the right ...

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Aug 9, 2012
  12. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 03:41:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    > <> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>Ant <> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> SmartCtl's results were too technical? :(

    >>Nar, don't include the raw data for each field.

    > Er, move the slider to the right ...

    Yeah, didn't notice the slider till later, I am fiddling
    with the settings on my new monitors and it wasn't
    very noticeable at all.

    Rod Speed, Aug 10, 2012