Re: dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Hardware' started by Malke, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    harsha wrote:

    > im facing a new problem, that my dvd writer cant recognize DVD"S and it
    > is saying that "Insert Disk in the Drive", that too after 10 - 15 min.
    > if i click on the cd/dvd drive it is hanging up.
    >
    > only the dvd's, that too all kinds of dvd's have the same thing
    >
    > and each and every CD , all kinds from movies to games and softwares,
    > all are reading and writing.
    >
    > why? please help me in this.its urgent.this problem is just from
    > yesterday morning.
    > mine is a HP notebook and slimtype sony dvd writer with lightscribe.

    This usually indicates a failing optical drive. There are two lasers, one
    for CDs and one for DVDs. It is common for one of the lasers to fail,
    necessitating replacement of the optical drive.

    You can try a drive cleaner (can get them at computer and office supply
    stores) first but if that doesn't work, order a new optical drive from HP.
    They are easy to replace.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP