Re: Documenting code in XML?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET' started by Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Brett <> wrote:
    > This is in the VB 2005 description:
    >
    > Visual Basic 2005 will introduce inline XML-documentation comments
    > that will assist developers in creating well documented applications
    > ready for deployment inside or outside the enterprise.
    >
    > Are there any examples of what this code would look like and how it
    > could be extracted for the purposes expected by vb.net? Such as
    > pulling out the documented code for use in a print form or knowledge
    > base?

    I would be very surprised if it were significantly different from the
    XML documentation C# code can already produce. NDoc (ndoc.sf.net) is a
    popular transformation tool for this XML documentation.

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 4, 2004

  2. Brett <> wrote:
    > What if I'm using an IDE that doesn't support the features found in
    > C#? Say for Macromedia Homesite, Cold Fusion Studio or anything else
    > that doesn't actually process XML documentation like C#? I'd like to
    > use the XML documentation in these scripting languages and IDEs but
    > have to in such a way that they are left seperate from any processing
    > specific to the application.

    It's not C# itself which processes the generated XML - it's VS.NET. As
    for whether other IDEs support that XML documentation - I really don't
    know. Using NDoc you can create web pages or help files etc though.

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 4, 2004

  3. Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    Guest Guest

    "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:

    > Brett <> wrote:
    > > What if I'm using an IDE that doesn't support the features found in
    > > C#? Say for Macromedia Homesite, Cold Fusion Studio or anything else
    > > that doesn't actually process XML documentation like C#? I'd like to
    > > use the XML documentation in these scripting languages and IDEs but
    > > have to in such a way that they are left seperate from any processing
    > > specific to the application.

    > It's not C# itself which processes the generated XML - it's VS.NET. As
    > for whether other IDEs support that XML documentation - I really don't
    > know. Using NDoc you can create web pages or help files etc though.
    >
    > --
    > Jon Skeet - <>
    > http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
    > If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

    nDoc is .NET framework specific.

    Guest, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Brett <> wrote:
    > nDoc is .NET framework specific.

    Yes, but it'll build documents you can read without .NET.

    I think I'm missing what you're trying to get at - you started off
    asking about .NET, and now you're after a documentation system which
    isn't even .NET-specific?

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 4, 2004
  5. Brett <> wrote:
    > That's correct. I wanted to make sure people were aware of what I was
    > referring to. That feature exist with .NET. I'd like to extend it to
    > a non .NET platform. I want the feature, just without the .NET.

    I suggest you see if there's an open source IDE for the language you're
    interested in then. Some other languages have similar things, of course
    - Java has JavaDoc, for instance.

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet