Re: Deleting a file takes a very long time

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 File System' started by Mark Zbikowski \(MSFT\), Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Is the file very large or very fragmented or compressed?

    Since NTFS needs to perform write-ahead logging when
    modifying it's metadata and since the NTFS log is of fixed
    size, it is possible for a delete operation on a file with a
    huge number of extents to exceed the capacity of the log.

    To guarantee forward progress, NTFS will free batches
    of extents at a time in separate transactions. Once you
    get into this mode, things will slow down.

    If this is NOT your case, then you might want to examine
    what other software is running on your machine that might
    be monitoring/logging file system changes. Things like
    file indexers (often part of IDE's) or antivirus apps.

    You could use pmon (reskit) or taskmgr to watch which
    processes do a bunch of I/O or take a bunch of CPU
    time during your deletions.

    no rights.

    Mark Zbikowski \(MSFT\), Jul 11, 2003