Re: CPU replacement / upgrade options / RAID 0 - some questions on what's possible

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mcheu, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. mcheu

    mcheu Guest

    digikiwi wrote:
    > I've tried a new processor but no joy so now I'm trying to replace the
    > mobo. Unfortunately it has the exalted "line discontinued status" and
    > is very hard to find.
    >
    > Are there any other options for recovering the data if I get a
    > different motherboard? Maybe some software recovery solution?
    >

    > --
    > digikiwi

    I'm a bit confused by the question, did you encrypt the data in some
    machine specific way? I was under the impression that if you swapped
    out the motherboard with another that had RAID capability you could
    configure the settings the same way and aside from having to reactivate
    windows, and possibly update the motherboard drivers, you'd be good to
    go.

    Am I missing something here?

    The motherboard you listed didn't appear all that special (aside from
    self destructing) and the RAID controller. RAID capable controllers on
    newer motherboards exist, and there are add-on PCI boards too. This
    may turn out to be a blessing if you need an excuse to buy something
    faster and newer, as there's nothing really limiting you in your
    processor and motherboard choice anymore -- unless you've already
    committed to the replacement CPU.

    While a spontaneous death of motherboard and/or CPU may cause the hard
    drive to get hosed too, it's pretty rare, and you've made no mention
    before this that you had any reason to believe that's what happened.
    Once you get your replacement parts, plug the old hard drive in, and
    after you go through the usual ritual (including swearing a curse at
    Microsoft), try the drives with the same configuration you had
    originally. While RAID 0 configurations are a bit flakey, odds are,
    the data's still intact. If you're worried about the data in the
    future, backup everything reconfigure for non-RAID configuration. RAID
    0 really isn't all that much faster with usage patterns typical of a
    home machine.

    mcheu, Nov 16, 2006

  2. mcheu

    Rod Speed Guest

    mcheu <> wrote
    > digikiwi wrote

    >> I've tried a new processor but no joy so now I'm
    >> trying to replace the mobo. Unfortunately it has the
    >> exalted "line discontinued status" and is very hard to find.

    >> Are there any other options for recovering the data if I get a
    >> different motherboard? Maybe some software recovery solution?

    > I'm a bit confused by the question, did you encrypt the data in some
    > machine specific way? I was under the impression that if you swapped
    > out the motherboard with another that had RAID capability you could
    > configure the settings the same way and aside from having to
    > reactivate windows, and possibly update the motherboard drivers,
    > you'd be good to go.

    > Am I missing something here?

    Yes, that you cant necessarily do that when RAID 0 is involved.

    Essentially because all the RAID controllers
    dont keep the array details the same way.

    > The motherboard you listed didn't appear all that special (aside from
    > self destructing) and the RAID controller. RAID capable controllers
    > on newer motherboards exist, and there are add-on PCI boards too.
    > This may turn out to be a blessing if you need an excuse to buy
    > something faster and newer, as there's nothing really limiting you in
    > your processor and motherboard choice anymore -- unless you've already
    > committed to the replacement CPU.

    > While a spontaneous death of motherboard and/or CPU may cause the
    > hard drive to get hosed too, it's pretty rare, and you've made no mention
    > before this that you had any reason to believe that's what happened.

    That isnt the problem.

    > Once you get your replacement parts, plug the old hard drive in, and
    > after you go through the usual ritual (including swearing a curse at
    > Microsoft), try the drives with the same configuration you had originally.

    Wont work unless the RAID controller is close to the old one.

    > While RAID 0 configurations are a bit
    > flakey, odds are, the data's still intact.

    Yes, but accessing it isnt necessarily that
    easy when the RAID controller is replaced.

    Rod Speed, Nov 16, 2006

  3. mcheu

    mcheu Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > mcheu <> wrote

    > Wont work unless the RAID controller is close to the old one.
    >
    > > While RAID 0 configurations are a bit
    > > flakey, odds are, the data's still intact.

    > Yes, but accessing it isnt necessarily that
    > easy when the RAID controller is replaced.

    Ah, my bad. I knew RAID 0 was a total PIA with little payoff, but I
    didn't know it was quite that proprietary.

    mcheu, Nov 17, 2006
  4. mcheu

    Rod Speed Guest

    digikiwi <> wrote:
    > Yahoo, I'm back. Everything is intact. I managed to find an
    > identical used motherboard at a computershop that had just upgraded
    > their work machines.
    > Now I've got that identical motherboard with the x2 4200+ chip and all
    > this in a new case. I'm a happy chappy with a much faster machine.
    >
    > Once assembled all I had to do was enable the RAID for the two SATA
    > drives and I booted off the old OS
    >
    > I think I found what caused the original corrosion. The computer had
    > been running for about 12 months without the 12 volt connector on the
    > motherboard being connected. Some doofus who didn't know what he was
    > doing never connected that one. At least That's what I'm guessing I
    > ahem I mean that person did wrong...
    >
    > Thank you all for your support. Sharing makes the world go round.

    Thanks for the washup, too rare in my opinion.

    Rod Speed, Nov 21, 2006