Re: Correct process for creating a linear trend line in Excel

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by Onion Knight, Jun 16, 2012.

  1. Onion Knight

    Onion Knight Guest

    On Jun 16, 1:41 am, Steve Carroll <> wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 6:11 pm, Foster <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:47:40 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > > > First: I do not use socks.  I

    > > I really don't want to get involved but all I will say is it looks
    > > bad from my perspective.
    > > End of it.
    > > I'm out of the thread.

    > OK, but you'll be missing the best part. Here's an absolutely
    > hilarious exchange that shows how watered down Snit's trend line
    > argument has gotten (to the point where it is now literally non-
    > existent). In some newsgroups he cross-trolled to earlier (in the
    > hopes of getting an appeal to authority so he could claim a win over
    > cc), a poster who knows the topic cut right to the chase:
    >
    > --
    > "I gather there are two questions here:
    >
    > 1) Is the trendline approriately fitted to that data?
    >
    > 2) Is the trendline useful in some way? "
    > --
    >
    > Snit's outrageous reply is the funniest thing I've seen on usenet in a
    > long time:
    >
    > --
    > "Not quite: the question was merely if the process of creating the
    > trend line was correct - did it follow the process of creating a
    > linear trend line that is supported by the build in "linear trend
    > line" properties of the program."
    > --
    >
    > In other words, Snit knew he couldn't bullsh*t this guy so he had to
    > say "Not quite" to the two main reasons for even creating a trend line
    > in the first place!  And the reason he gave is equally as funny... he
    > wanted to "merely" know if his "process" in Excel was "correct" for
    > creating the trend line. Naturally, when you create a trend line you
    > have *some* goals in mind... the goals the poster stated. You can't
    > even talk about the process used to create the trend line until you
    > know what the goals for creating it are. This is just common sense of
    > which Snit obviously has none of... as he tossed those goals aside in
    > an effort to prove he was "right". Too funny ;)
    >
    > This pathetically cross-posted thread only got created because Snit
    > dumped the idea of using people who are good at math because they
    > exposed him. Now he's appealing to people who have used the trend line
    > function in Excel and is, like the post I just showed you, completely
    > dumping the reason for creating it altogether in the hopes of  saving
    > face. You'll notice that he is not pointing out how his goal for
    > creating the trend line is *not* to see if it will be "approriately
    > fitted to that data" or be "useful in some way" (a thing any sane
    > person would assume). Gee, do you think he would have received a
    > different answer had he made that clear? LOL!

    Snit made the claim that he created a linear trendline and did so
    correctly. I would love to see where you think Snit said the 2011
    trend would continue into 2012, unchanged.

    His 2011 trendline fit his claims well. His 2012 tendline did not. You
    say that others "exposed him" on this but he never claimed otherwise.
    You are just throwing a toddler tantrum because Snit was proved right
    by people who know a lot more than you.

    For the last decade or so you have been following him around lying
    about him because your girlfriend dumped your lying ass and you blamed
    him. Poor Steve dumped by an insane bitch and unable to get over it.
    Yes Steve the woman who dumped your lying ass was insane and evil. If
    you had half a brain you would be celebrating that she left you and
    not crying about it into the next decade.

    Onion Knight, Jun 16, 2012

  2. Onion Knight

    Snit Guest

    On 6/15/12 8:01 PM, in article
    , "Onion
    Knight" <> wrote:

    >> This pathetically cross-posted thread only got created because Snit
    >> dumped the idea of using people who are good at math because they
    >> exposed him. Now he's appealing to people who have used the trend line
    >> function in Excel and is, like the post I just showed you, completely
    >> dumping the reason for creating it altogether in the hopes of  saving
    >> face. You'll notice that he is not pointing out how his goal for
    >> creating the trend line is *not* to see if it will be "approriately
    >> fitted to that data" or be "useful in some way" (a thing any sane
    >> person would assume). Gee, do you think he would have received a
    >> different answer had he made that clear? LOL!

    > Snit made the claim that he created a linear trendline and did so
    > correctly. I would love to see where you think Snit said the 2011
    > trend would continue into 2012, unchanged.

    I never did... though I said it *might* continue its upward trend or it
    *might* stagnate. I did not predict its significant decline.

    So for 2011 I was right about my prediction. It would be an interesting
    discussion to look into why things changed and I was wrong about the 2012
    trend. If Steve and cc wanted to attack me for being wrong, *this* would be
    the place to do so because this is the place where I was *actually* wrong.

    But they are too lost in what was being discussed to figure this out (even
    though I told them). And, of course, they will never admit I was right
    about the my method of creating a linear trend line, nor admit I was right
    about the sigma line being drawn at the distance from the mean to the
    inflection point, nor admit that the examples of poorly depicted sigma lines
    were in fact poorly depicted, nor will they admit that I was right to note
    that the R^2 value does *not* indicate if the *process* of creating a trend
    line is correct or not, etc. cc argued against me on all of these points
    and he was wrong. And Steve backed cc because of his illness. And Steve
    added his own lunacy in claiming that the purpose of looking at the trend
    for one time period necessitates that one expects that trend to continue.
    This is even more insane when one considers the linear nature of the trend
    line... it is not as a percentage growth rate can continue "into infinity"
    as he said. If it did, sometime in the next 100 years the total of Linux
    usage would be *greater* than 100%. Maybe someday if Carroll is not being
    an ass to me I will explain why this is not a likely scenario. :)

    > His 2011 trendline fit his claims well. His 2012 tendline did not. You
    > say that others "exposed him" on this but he never claimed otherwise.

    Absolutely correct. I have been clear from the start that the 2012 data did
    not fit my prediction.

    > You are just throwing a toddler tantrum because Snit was proved right
    > by people who know a lot more than you.

    Carroll has had a number of very public bread-downs where he starts accusing
    multiple people of being my socks (while at the same time he runs from
    answering names he has used), threatens to contact my family and employer,
    falsely accuses me of sexually harassing either himself or his
    ex-girlfriend, and otherwise just freaks out. He then goes away for a
    while, claiming to he has "found a life"... and comes back for another
    round.

    And this is all without me directly replying to him. Just amazing how
    messed up he is.

    > For the last decade or so you have been following him around lying
    > about him because your girlfriend dumped your lying ass and you blamed
    > him. Poor Steve dumped by an insane bitch and unable to get over it.
    > Yes Steve the woman who dumped your lying ass was insane and evil. If
    > you had half a brain you would be celebrating that she left you and
    > not crying about it into the next decade.

    Absolutely correct and very well stated.

    --
    The indisputable facts about that absurd debate: <http://goo.gl/2337P>
    cc being proved wrong about his stats BS: <http://goo.gl/1aYrP>

    Snit, Jun 16, 2012