Re: Computer crashed during a windows update running XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
    "Nat2731" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
    > intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3 updates for
    > install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try to make sure I had
    > the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3 the system crashed again! I
    > knew this wasn't good. I haven't been able to restart the system. When I
    > boot it comes up with the windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops
    > with a blue screen and the following message.
    >
    > Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The system manager intialization system
    > process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000
    > 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
    >


    > Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
    >
    > I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected restore to
    > last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other suggestions out
    > there.



    Yes. Did you try safe mode?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503

    (BING search for
    c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
    )


    Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?

    BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
    this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
    (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
    the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
    0xC0000005 AFAIK.

    Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
    sequence of STOP codes?

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html

    (BING search for
    0x21A STOP
    )


    In that case your other STOP code would mean...


    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241

    (BING search for
    0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
    )


    And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
    it would show you what driver was loaded last.
    I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
    be loaded then.

    Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.


    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---


    > XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
    > disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because I'm
    > thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer and I will
    > rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a good solution or
    > will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
    >
    > ========================
    > Additional information:
    > I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the reason
    > the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there is a way to
    > recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power, or crashes before
    > the installation of the updates is complete. Thanks.
    >
    >
     
    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 17, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Nat

    Do you have important data files on the drive you need to recover? If
    yes this needs to be done before taking any action to fix the problem or
    you risk their loss!
    Do you need help to do this? If yes do you have access to a second
    computer?

    Using the Dell Restore CD is destructive!
    http://snurl.com/kcufa [support_dell_com]

    You indicated that the computer has a history of intermittent crashes.
    Can you provide more details?

    Why did the compputer lose power? Is this a case of hardware failure
    leading to software damage?

    0xc000026c could be suggesting, unless I am mistaken, :
    A Stop: 0xc000026C or Stop: 0xc0000221 "Unable to Load Device Driver"
    Error Occurs When You Start Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241

    Accessing Recovery Console
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080114202332AAOR6zv

    What is your computer model?

    To attempt recovery you need to gain access. There are ways this can be
    done but you need to have in mind what you intend to do when you gain
    access?

    You can use System Restore to revert to system settings before the crash
    occurred. That would remove the problem of failed Updates. However, that
    will not resolve a damaged driver issue. At the moment I am not sure how
    to interpret the two parameters following the status code. "0xc000026c
    (0x00000000 0x00000000)". Are you seeing any clues, which might point to
    the identity of a damaged driver? There should be a dump report but
    these are difficult to interpret. You cannot run something like system
    file checker from the Recovery Console. You can replace single drivers
    using the Expand command from the Recovery Console.

    Robert

    Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx


    --


    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
    > "Nat2731" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
    >> intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3
    >> updates for install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try
    >> to make sure I had the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3
    >> the system crashed again! I knew this wasn't good. I haven't been
    >> able to restart the system. When I boot it comes up with the
    >> windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops with a blue screen
    >> and the following message. Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The
    >> system manager intialization
    >> system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c
    >> (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
    >>

    >
    >> Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
    >>
    >> I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected
    >> restore to last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other
    >> suggestions out there.

    >
    >
    > Yes. Did you try safe mode?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
    >
    > (BING search for
    > c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
    > )
    >
    >
    > Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?
    >
    > BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
    > this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
    > (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
    > the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
    > 0xC0000005 AFAIK.
    >
    > Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
    > sequence of STOP codes?
    >
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html
    >
    > (BING search for
    > 0x21A STOP
    > )
    >
    >
    > In that case your other STOP code would mean...
    >
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241
    >
    > (BING search for
    > 0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
    > )
    >
    >
    > And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
    > it would show you what driver was loaded last.
    > I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
    > be loaded then.
    >
    > Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.
    >
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Robert Aldwinckle
    > ---
    >
    >
    >> XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
    >> disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because
    >> I'm thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer
    >> and I will rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a
    >> good solution or will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone
    >> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
    >>
    >> ========================
    >> Additional information:
    >> I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the
    >> reason the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there
    >> is a way to recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power,
    >> or crashes before the installation of the updates is complete.
    >> Thanks.
     
    Gerry, Jun 18, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. (FollowUp-To set to XP Perf & Maint)
    "Gerry" <> wrote in message news:%23eIO46%...

    > Robert
    >
    > Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx



    Thanks, Gerry.

    If the OP comes back I guess we should suggest he Followup-to
    Perf & Maint? I can set a web interface notification for this thread
    for my own interest.


    Robert
    ---

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...tain&mid=88d05929-3bd5-4b9e-9b83-c7576a1b423b
     
    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 18, 2009
    #3
  4. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Robert

    I monitor conversations I contribute to for a bit over a month. My
    method of monitoring also means I see any contributions to the other
    sub-thread not crossposted. We would seem to have the situation covered
    <G>!

    The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of interest
    ponts,

    Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean? I was
    wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not recorded?

    --


    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > (FollowUp-To set to XP Perf & Maint)
    > "Gerry" <> wrote in message
    > news:%23eIO46%...
    >> Robert
    >>
    >> Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx

    >
    >
    > Thanks, Gerry.
    >
    > If the OP comes back I guess we should suggest he Followup-to
    > Perf & Maint? I can set a web interface notification for this thread
    > for my own interest.
    >
    >
    > Robert
    > ---
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...tain&mid=88d05929-3bd5-4b9e-9b83-c7576a1b423b
     
    Gerry, Jun 18, 2009
    #4
  5. "Gerry" wrote:

    > The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of interest
    > ponts,
    >
    > Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?



    The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


    > I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not recorded?



    I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
    but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

    That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
    the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it doesn't
    get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would be the last
    name shown.

    Do you know anything about the OP's OEM system? E.g. does it provide
    a Recovery Console which could be used as an alternate boot?
    One of the suggestions then would be to try a driver rollback
    (if a new driver had been installed by the "updates").

    Also, surprisingly, the 0xC000021A supposedly occurs in User mode;
    so diagnostics such as drwtsn32.log and user.dmp could be produced.
    I don't think those would help even if he had a Recovery Console though.
    He would need a full alternate boot to make use of such diagnostics.


    Robert
    ---
     
    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 19, 2009
    #5
  6. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Robert

    Replies inline.

    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > "Gerry" wrote:
    >
    >> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
    >> interest ponts,
    >>
    >> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?

    >
    >
    > The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


    RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
    other than in the bug check code?

    >
    >
    >> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
    >> recorded?

    >
    >
    > I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
    > but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]


    That's my interpretion of what should be there. The form of Bug Check
    0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports are
    the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have been a
    number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero parameters in
    Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug 0xC0000221 but the
    differences are something I have not yet studied.

    >
    > That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
    > the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it
    > doesn't get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would
    > be the last name shown.


    Where are you noting the loading of modules? A logged boot records these
    but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot. I
    am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer report
    lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is that it is an
    incomlete list. A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
    which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
    loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
    diagnosis.

    >
    > Do you know anything about the OP's OEM system? E.g. does it provide
    > a Recovery Console which could be used as an alternate boot?
    > One of the suggestions then would be to try a driver rollback
    > (if a new driver had been installed by the "updates").


    I have never played on a Dell computer. What I know is based on what I
    have read in Dell documentation and other user comment. One of the links
    I posted earlier leads to this link:
    http://snurl.com/kfrun [support_dell_com]

    Something in my memory suggests you may not be able to intall or run the
    recovery console but I could equally be wrong.
    >
    > Also, surprisingly, the 0xC000021A supposedly occurs in User mode;
    > so diagnostics such as drwtsn32.log and user.dmp could be
    > produced.


    Accessing the drwtsn32.log is something that has come into my thoughts
    recently but I have not yet explored the practicalities. I have tried
    viewing Event Viewer logs on a second computer. It does not work. There
    are other ways of accessing a computer that fails to boot other than the
    Recovery Console such as Linux disks.


    > I don't think those would help even if he had a Recovery Console
    > though.
    > He would need a full alternate boot to make use of such diagnostics.


    Using the Recovery Console does require skills that not all seeking help
    can master,.

    >
    >
    > Robert
    > ---



    --


    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Gerry, Jun 19, 2009
    #6
  7. "Gerry" wrote:

    > Robert
    >
    > Replies inline.
    >
    > Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > > "Gerry" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
    > >> interest ponts,
    > >>
    > >> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?

    > >
    > >
    > > The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!

    >
    > RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
    > other than in the bug check code?



    P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription of the
    W2000 RK
    which has less information on it:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx



    >
    > >
    > >
    > >> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
    > >> recorded?

    > >
    > >
    > > I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
    > > but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

    >
    > That's my interpretion of what should be there.



    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx

    <quote>
    A string that identifies the problem
    </quote>

    I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
    which the OP has duly reported as being:
    "The system manager intialization system"


    > The form of Bug Check
    > 0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports are
    > the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have been a
    > number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero parameters in
    > Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug 0xC0000221 but the
    > differences are something I have not yet studied.
    >
    > >
    > > That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
    > > the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it
    > > doesn't get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would
    > > be the last name shown.

    >
    > Where are you noting the loading of modules?



    When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines which look
    like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's an XP Pro
    difference?



    > A logged boot records these
    > but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot. I
    > am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer report
    > lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is that it is an
    > incomlete list.


    > A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
    > which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
    > loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
    > diagnosis.



    I had forgotten about that difference, except that if the OP tried a safe
    mode
    boot and then reported being able to do something it would have been
    apparent. ; )


    Robert
    ---
     
    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 19, 2009
    #7
  8. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Robert

    This article is relevant to my earlier remarks about using the Recovery
    Console and OEM versions of Windows XP
    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
    starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

    I will write again regarding your latest post tomorrow.

    --


    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > "Gerry" wrote:
    >
    >> Robert
    >>
    >> Replies inline.
    >>
    >> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    >>> "Gerry" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
    >>>> interest ponts,
    >>>>
    >>>> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!

    >>
    >> RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
    >> other than in the bug check code?

    >
    >
    > P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription
    > of the W2000 RK
    > which has less information on it:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx
    >
    >
    >
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
    >>>> recorded?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
    >>> but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

    >>
    >> That's my interpretion of what should be there.

    >
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx
    >
    > <quote>
    > A string that identifies the problem
    > </quote>
    >
    > I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
    > which the OP has duly reported as being:
    > "The system manager intialization system"
    >
    >
    >> The form of Bug Check
    >> 0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports
    >> are the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have
    >> been a number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero
    >> parameters in Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug
    >> 0xC0000221 but the differences are something I have not yet studied.
    >>
    >>>
    >>> That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it
    >>> shows the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that
    >>> even if it doesn't get loaded its name might show then and
    >>> presumably it would be the last name shown.

    >>
    >> Where are you noting the loading of modules?

    >
    >
    > When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines
    > which look like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's
    > an XP Pro difference?
    >
    >
    >
    >> A logged boot records these
    >> but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot.
    >> I am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer
    >> report lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is
    >> that it is an incomlete list.

    >
    >> A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
    >> which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
    >> loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
    >> diagnosis.

    >
    >
    > I had forgotten about that difference, except that if the OP tried a
    > safe mode
    > boot and then reported being able to do something it would have been
    > apparent. ; )
    >
    >
    > Robert
    > ---
     
    Gerry, Jun 19, 2009
    #8
  9. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Robert

    Replies inline.

    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

    >>>>
    >>>> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


    Could this be a consequence of switching from User Mode to Kernel Mode?


    >
    >
    > P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription
    > of the W2000 RK
    > which has less information on it:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx
    >


    Parts of that Article paraphrase Article 797159 or the reverse.


    >
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx
    >
    > <quote>
    > A string that identifies the problem
    > </quote>
    >
    > I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
    > which the OP has duly reported as being:
    > "The system manager intialization system"


    I tried researching "The system manager intialization system process".
    All I could get was the Bug Check 0xC000021A

    I have noticed in Process Explorer that SMSS is a child of System and
    WinLogon is a child of SMSS (Session Manager Sub-System).

    >
    >
    >>>
    >>> That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it
    >>> shows the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that
    >>> even if it doesn't get loaded its name might show then and
    >>> presumably it would be the last name shown.

    >>
    >> Where are you noting the loading of modules?

    >
    >
    > When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines
    > which look like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's
    > an XP Pro difference?


    >

    Yes now I understand but they flash by so quickly it is difficult to
    record the whole list.

    >
    >


    --


    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Gerry, Jun 20, 2009
    #9
  10. Robert Aldwinckle

    davi taylor Guest

    I am having problems with a clean up. Now my system is crashing. Used a site
    given to me, www.Ccleaner.com say's it is free, then they ask for a fee.
    Where did the 'r' go in the word "free"...misleading, and now my computer is
    useless except for a glorified typewriter. Has taken over 7 hours to
    uninstall. My control panel would not come up. What did they do to my
    computer?


    --
    "Towards New Horizons"


    "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

    > (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
    > "Nat2731" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
    > > intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3 updates for
    > > install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try to make sure I had
    > > the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3 the system crashed again! I
    > > knew this wasn't good. I haven't been able to restart the system. When I
    > > boot it comes up with the windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops
    > > with a blue screen and the following message.
    > >
    > > Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The system manager intialization system
    > > process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000
    > > 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
    > >

    >
    > > Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
    > >
    > > I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected restore to
    > > last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other suggestions out
    > > there.

    >
    >
    > Yes. Did you try safe mode?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
    >
    > (BING search for
    > c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
    > )
    >
    >
    > Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?
    >
    > BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
    > this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
    > (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
    > the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
    > 0xC0000005 AFAIK.
    >
    > Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
    > sequence of STOP codes?
    >
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html
    >
    > (BING search for
    > 0x21A STOP
    > )
    >
    >
    > In that case your other STOP code would mean...
    >
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241
    >
    > (BING search for
    > 0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
    > )
    >
    >
    > And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
    > it would show you what driver was loaded last.
    > I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
    > be loaded then.
    >
    > Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.
    >
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Robert Aldwinckle
    > ---
    >
    >
    > > XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
    > > disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because I'm
    > > thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer and I will
    > > rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a good solution or
    > > will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone would be greatly
    > > appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
    > >
    > > ========================
    > > Additional information:
    > > I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the reason
    > > the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there is a way to
    > > recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power, or crashes before
    > > the installation of the updates is complete. Thanks.
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
    >
     
    davi taylor, Jun 25, 2009
    #10
  11. Robert Aldwinckle

    Gerry Guest

    Davi

    You have piggy backed on to a thread unrelated to your problem. Next
    time please start a new thread.

    Did you use the Cleaner or the Registry component in cCleaner?

    The software is free. Donations are invited not obligatory. Removal
    should not take 7 hours -more like 5 minutes, if that.

    If your Control Panel would not load then you could have a malware
    problem?

    Something like Malwarebytes might be worth a try.

    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    1.37 -freeware (if you upgrade you pay).
    http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

    Run Malwarebytes' and turn off your current anti-virus
    before you do to avoid a conflict. Disregard the invitation on the web
    site regarding the Registry Optimiser -a Registry Optimiser is not a
    helpful utility.

    --


    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    davi taylor wrote:
    > I am having problems with a clean up. Now my system is crashing. Used
    > a site given to me, www.Ccleaner.com say's it is free, then they ask
    > for a fee. Where did the 'r' go in the word "free"...misleading, and
    > now my computer is useless except for a glorified typewriter. Has
    > taken over 7 hours to uninstall. My control panel would not come up.
    > What did they do to my computer?
    >
    >
    >
    >> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
    >> "Nat2731" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
    >>> intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3
    >>> updates for install. I shutdown and selected install updates to
    >>> try to make sure I had the latest files. During the install on 3
    >>> of 3 the system crashed again! I knew this wasn't good. I haven't
    >>> been able to restart the system. When I boot it comes up with the
    >>> windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops with a blue screen
    >>> and the following message.
    >>>
    >>> Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The system manager
    >>> intialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status
    >>> of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut
    >>> down.
    >>>

    >>
    >>> Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected
    >>> restore to last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other
    >>> suggestions out there.

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes. Did you try safe mode?
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
    >>
    >> (BING search for
    >> c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
    >> )
    >>
    >>
    >> Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack
    >> too?
    >>
    >> BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
    >> this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
    >> (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
    >> the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
    >> 0xC0000005 AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a
    >> cascading
    >> sequence of STOP codes?
    >>
    >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html
    >>
    >> (BING search for
    >> 0x21A STOP
    >> )
    >>
    >>
    >> In that case your other STOP code would mean...
    >>
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241
    >>
    >> (BING search for
    >> 0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
    >> )
    >>
    >>
    >> And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
    >> it would show you what driver was loaded last.
    >> I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
    >> be loaded then.
    >>
    >> Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.
    >>
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Robert Aldwinckle
    >> ---
    >>
    >>
    >>> XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
    >>> disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because
    >>> I'm thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer
    >>> and I will rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install
    >>> a good solution or will this just make it worse? Any help from
    >>> anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
    >>>
    >>> ========================
    >>> Additional information:
    >>> I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the
    >>> reason the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there
    >>> is a way to recover from a windows update that stalls, losses
    >>> power, or crashes before the installation of the updates is
    >>> complete. Thanks.
     
    Gerry, Jun 25, 2009
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles Lunsford

    computer crashed need to re-install windows xp

    Charles Lunsford, May 5, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    211
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    May 5, 2004
  2. mb

    System crashed while running office update

    mb, Jun 24, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,321
    William Wang[MSFT]
    Jun 25, 2004
  3. Jodie

    XP crashed during update, now won't start

    Jodie, Aug 19, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    229
    Jodie
    Aug 19, 2004
  4. Guest

    Windows XP crashed during restore

    Guest, May 4, 2006, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    160
    Guest
    May 4, 2006
  5. Stakeout

    Desktop PC Crashed after Windows UPDATE

    Stakeout, Feb 15, 2009, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    217
    Daave
    Feb 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page