Re: Cloning problems

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by philo, Mar 19, 2011.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    "John B. Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using WindowsXP. I back up by using an imaging program on my C;
    > drive. Being a belt-and-suspenders man, I also use a cloning drive.
    > It's a SATA 80gig Seagate, same as my C: drive. I use Maxtor MaxBlast
    > to clone the c: drive to this extra drive. When I boot with both of
    > these drives plugged in, the cloned drive comes up as d:.

    <snip>

    that's your mistake

    once a drive is cloned...
    the clone *must* be disconnected and you need to boot with it ...

    if you leave it in place and reboot after the cloning process it will be
    assigned the wrong drive letter

    philo, Mar 19, 2011

  2. philo

    philo Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" wrote:
    >>
    >> "John B. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using WindowsXP. I back up by using an imaging program on my C;
    >>> drive. Being a belt-and-suspenders man, I also use a cloning drive.
    >>> It's a SATA 80gig Seagate, same as my C: drive. I use Maxtor MaxBlast
    >>> to clone the c: drive to this extra drive. When I boot with both of
    >>> these drives plugged in, the cloned drive comes up as d:.

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >> that's your mistake
    >>
    >> once a drive is cloned...
    >> the clone *must* be disconnected and you need to boot with it ...
    >>
    >> if you leave it in place and reboot after the cloning process it will be
    >> assigned the wrong drive letter

    > I think you meant that the *original* should be disconnected
    > and the clone be allowed to boot alone so that it doesn't see its
    > "parent" OS when it boots up for the first time. Thereafter, the
    > two OSes can be allowed to see the other when one or the
    > other boots up
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Yes...

    philo, Mar 19, 2011

  3. philo

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "philo" wrote:
    >> "John B. Smith" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> I'm using WindowsXP. I back up by using an imaging program on my C;
    >>> drive. Being a belt-and-suspenders man, I also use a cloning drive.
    >>> It's a SATA 80gig Seagate, same as my C: drive. I use Maxtor MaxBlast
    >>> to clone the c: drive to this extra drive. When I boot with both of
    >>> these drives plugged in, the cloned drive comes up as d:.

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >> that's your mistake
    >>
    >> once a drive is cloned...
    >> the clone *must* be disconnected and you need to boot with it ...
    >>
    >> if you leave it in place and reboot after the cloning process it will be assigned the wrong drive letter

    > I think you meant that the *original* should be disconnected
    > and the clone be allowed to boot alone so that it doesn't see its
    > "parent" OS when it boots up for the first time. Thereafter, the
    > two OSes can be allowed to see the other when one or the
    > other boots up
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    No, after cloning, both drives are "DRIVE C".
    Take a peek with XP at the second drive and it is no longer drive c.
    So, after cloning, remove it and use it only a primary drive.
    Never have both drives in the machine, except when cloning.

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 19, 2011
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    >> *TimDaniels*

    > No, after cloning, both drives are "DRIVE C".
    > Take a peek with XP at the second drive and it is no longer drive c.
    > So, after cloning, remove it and use it only a primary drive.
    > Never have both drives in the machine, except when cloning.

    Both drives ar C: *only* if you boot from the clone...
    if you reboot and leave it attached it will be assigned the next drive
    letter.

    Once you boot from it, it becomes C:

    Of course if you later attach it as a second drive
    the operating system will assign the next drive up.

    philo, Mar 20, 2011