Re: Can't copy 20GB file to 160GB USB drive with 153GB free

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP], Aug 16, 2011.

  1. >I have a Seagate USB drive (160GB) that I use for archiving files. I
    >just cleaned a bunch of old stuff off of it leaving 153GB free.
    >
    >I tried to copy a 20GB TrueCrypt container file and got a Windows (XP)
    >message saying that it cannot copy the file because there is not enough
    >space.
    >
    >What's up?
    >
    >I have a 465GB C-drive with 354GB free. It looks to me like there is
    >space everywhere.
    >
    >I am able to copy the 20GB file to another directory on the C-disk with
    >no problems.

    Is the file system FAT32 or NTFS? If it is FAT32, you cannot move a
    file larger than 2.2GB.

    - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

    Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP], Aug 16, 2011

  2. Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Tim Slattery, Aug 16, 2011

  3. "Jennifer Murphy" <> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:06:47 -0400, Tim Slattery <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:

    >>>Can I move the files off, reformat it as NTFS, and then move them back?

    >>You can do it without moving the files off (but a backup would be a
    >>good idea). Run convert.exe, look here:
    >>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

    > Is there any benefit to doing a format rather than running convert.exe?
    >
    > There were only a few files on the drive. I have already moved them to
    > the C-disk.
    >
    > My intuition tells me that a format would give me a cleaner start. Any
    > validity to that?

    Intuition is for doubts. What we want is peace of mind. The drive
    has been emptied (so the data will not be lost) so if a reformat after
    NTFS conversion increases your peace of mind, just go ahead.
    You have nothing to lose.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Aug 16, 2011
  4. Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:

    >Don't ya just love these Microsoft error messages? This one not only
    >told me that there was not enough space (there was) but told me run Disk
    >Cleanup to free up space (which would not make any difference). The
    >message is not just vague, it's plain wrong. (sigh)

    Probably originates in the FAT32 file system, which inherited it from
    FAT16, etc. I expect that when that bit was written nobody considered
    the possibility of a file anywhere near that big. It should have been
    done better way back then, and it should have been caught and fixed
    some time later. I promise you this kind of thing is not unique to
    Microsoft.

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt