Re: Browse List Incomplete

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by Scott Harding - MS MVP, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Is your network subnetted? You may need WINS installed for proper Netbios
    name resolution for Veritas. You could also try to put a lmhosts file on the
    backup machine with the name of the Exchange server so even if it is not
    currently in the browse list that machine can still find it.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Bob Biegon" <Bob > wrote in message
    > We have a W2k AD with a PDC and BDC. Our PDC is our file and backup

    server (using Veritas BackupExec 9.0); our BDC runs Exchange 2000. All
    servers are at SP4, with all recent patches. We're having problems backing
    up individual Mailboxes despite having the Exchange Add-On for BackupExec
    and following all of their config instructions. Sometime everything works
    fine, many times we get an error indicating the backup server cannot find
    the Exchange server.

    > We are able to duplicate the problem: when our browse list does not

    contain our exchange server (or any local PCs in our domain, only PCs on our
    WAN) we get the failure to communicate. We are only using TCP/IP, NetBIOS
    over TCP seems to be the primary means of communication for Veritas. Using
    BROWSTAT and BROWMON and NBTSTAT, we do see issues relating to our BDC not
    showing up, but are unable to find the source of the problem. DNS seems
    great, configured per Minasi's rules; does not seem to affect our situation
    though.

    Scott Harding - MS MVP, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Scott Harding - MS MVP

    Guest Guest

    We've tried using the lmhosts entry with no success. Our local network is not subnetted but we've got a WAN that connects to 6 offsite offices each with their own subnet. Our local cleints are either W2k or XP Pro.

    Since posting this, our browse list (viewed thru My Network Places) has corrected itself spontaneously, and it lasted about 30 minutes before reverting to 30 fewer PCs.

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004