Re: Backing up the registry and the OS before cleaning after Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Rod Speed, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    > It looks like I will have to do some manual repair to clean up after
    > an old installation of Acronis True Image which left dangerous debris
    > on my PCs.

    Its not dangerous.

    > I would like to have a safe and reliable procedure in place
    > before I attempt any registry or OS-related changes.

    Just an image does that fine.

    > As I understand it, this is what I need to do:

    Fraid not.

    > * Back up the registry. I think I know how to do that using RegEdit.

    > * Back up the OS. I am not sure how to do that.

    And image of the physical drive is the best way to do that.

    > * Make a bootable recovery CD. I am not sure how to do that.

    The imager can do that.

    > I would really like to make a full disk image backup, but I am in a
    > bit of a Catch 22 here. The disk image program, ShadowProtect,
    > won't install because of the Acronis debris.

    Then you need a better imager.

    > Is there another way to make a disk image backup

    Corse there is, it isnt the only imager around.

    > or is this even necessary?

    Yes, its the best way to protect yourself before you start molesting the OS install manually.

    > I have all of me data files backup using Carbonite.

    Doesnt help if you stuff up the OS manually deleting stuff.

    Rod Speed, Mar 9, 2011