Re: Avira - Removal of vdf files

Discussion in 'Anti-Virus' started by Shadow, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I have
    >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions) and
    >they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to clearing
    >or deleting them.
    >
    >Chris
    >(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)


    I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    in vbase*.vdf files.
    So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    []'s

    PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    will lose all your log files though.
    --
    Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012
     
    Shadow, Apr 18, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Shadow

    FredW Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >"Shadow" <> wrote in message
    >news:blush:...
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    >have
    >> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    >and
    >>
    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.

    >
    >I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    >files.
    >Would be quite happy to lose the log files


    I have also no antiv*.vdf files in Windows 7.

    In CCleaner -> Cleaner / Applications / Utilities
    there you can select AntiVir Desktop

    In Avira Free Antivirus
    Configuration (F8) / General / Events or Reports
    there you can limit the number kept.

    --
    Fred W. (NL)
     
    FredW, Apr 18, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > "Shadow" <> wrote in message
    > news:blush:...
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    > have
    >>>found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    > and
    >>>they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >>>starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

    > clearing
    >>>or deleting them.
    >>>
    >>>Chris
    >>>(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

    >>
    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.
    >> --
    >> Don't be evil - Google 2004
    >> We have a new policy - Google 2012

    >
    > I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    > files.
    > Would be quite happy to lose the log files
    >
    > C


    Don't know how you got from Cookie Cleaner to CCleaner. Cookie Cleaner
    is a separate product than CCleaner whose original name was Crap
    Cleaner, not Cookie Cleaner.

    Since you're asking about CCleaner, go under its Options -> Include
    section to add the folder where are the log files that you want CCleaner
    to delete.
     
    VanguardLH, Apr 18, 2012
    #3
  4. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Shadow" <> wrote in message
    >news:blush:...
    >> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

    >have
    >> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

    >and
    >> >they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
    >> >starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

    >clearing
    >> >or deleting them.
    >> >
    >> >Chris
    >> >(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

    >>
    >> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
    >> in vbase*.vdf files.
    >> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
    >> []'s
    >>
    >> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
    >> will lose all your log files though.
    >> --
    >> Don't be evil - Google 2004
    >> We have a new policy - Google 2012

    >
    >I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
    >files.
    >Would be quite happy to lose the log files


    Open CCleaner (version 3.17) ---> Applications ---> Utilities
    ----> Antivir Desktop.
    Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just
    in case.
    []'s
    --
    Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012
     
    Shadow, Apr 19, 2012
    #4
  5. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Shadow wrote:

    > Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
    > ---> Applications
    > ---> Utilities
    > ----> Antivir Desktop.
    > Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.


    I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:

    7-Zip
    Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
    WinPatrol

    That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    the log folder to delete all files there.
     
    VanguardLH, Apr 19, 2012
    #5
  6. Shadow

    FredW Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
    >> ---> Applications
    >> ---> Utilities
    >> ----> Antivir Desktop.
    >> Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.

    >
    >I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >
    >7-Zip
    >Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
    >WinPatrol
    >
    >That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >the log folder to delete all files there.


    I have CCleaner version 3.17.1689 (64-bit)
    Under Applications / Utilities I can select:
    - AntiVir Desktop
    - Malwarebytes Anti Malware
    - Windows Defender
    - WinPatrol
    - WinRAR
    No 7-Zip
    No Avast

    Maybe you can select only software installed on your PC?

    --
    Fred W. (NL)
     
    FredW, Apr 19, 2012
    #6
  7. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    > yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    > section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >
    > 7-Zip
    > Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >
    > That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    > the log folder to delete all files there.


    I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.

    []'s
     
    Shadow, Apr 20, 2012
    #7
  8. Shadow

    VanguardLH Guest

    Shadow wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >>
    >> 7-Zip
    >> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>
    >> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >> the log folder to delete all files there.

    >
    > I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    > shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
    >
    > []'s


    That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.
     
    VanguardLH, Apr 20, 2012
    #8
  9. Shadow

    Bear Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:jmscbg$7hd$:

    > Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest
    >>> version) yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the
    >>> Utilities section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3
    >>> entries:
    >>>
    >>> 7-Zip
    >>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>>
    >>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to
    >>> include the log folder to delete all files there.

    >>
    >> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    >> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or
    >> Winpatrol.
    >>
    >> []'s

    >
    > That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    > but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    > payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.
    >


    you can list anything you want with Ccleaner in the ini file.

    --
    Bear
    http://bearware.info
    The real Bear's header path is:
    news.sunsite.dk!dotsrc.org!filter.dotsrc.org!news.dotsrc.org!not-for-
    mail
     
    Bear, Apr 20, 2012
    #9
  10. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:10:50 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
    >>> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
    >>> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
    >>>
    >>> 7-Zip
    >>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
    >>>
    >>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
    >>> the log folder to delete all files there.

    >>
    >> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
    >> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
    >>
    >> []'s

    >
    >That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
    >but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
    >payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.


    Move ccleaner ini file somewhere safe. (I presume you are
    using the portable version) . Fire up good old Regmon. . You will see
    CCleaner searches all the software sections of Current User and Local
    Machine in the registry, and adds a pre-set list of the findings to
    the interface. You can then opt-in or out of them.
    Replace your old ccleaner ini file.
    Dunno why your malwarebytes does not show up. Mine is the free
    version.
    []'s
    --
    Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012
     
    Shadow, Apr 21, 2012
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dingley Mellowcreme

    Avira Anti Virus Software

    Dingley Mellowcreme, Apr 10, 2005, in forum: Anti-Virus
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,733
    Buffalo
    Dec 19, 2009
  2. John Navas
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    275
    John Navas
    Apr 12, 2006
  3. Lou

    Avira false positives

    Lou, Sep 5, 2006, in forum: Anti-Virus
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    527
    chris
    Sep 7, 2006
  4. Man-wai Chang

    Re: Avira - Removal of vdf files

    Man-wai Chang, Apr 17, 2012, in forum: Anti-Virus
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    458
    Man-wai Chang
    Apr 17, 2012
  5. Bear

    Re: Avira - Removal of vdf files

    Bear, Apr 18, 2012, in forum: Anti-Virus
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    550
    James E. Morrow
    Apr 21, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page