Re: Any really good, reliable, easy to use disk imaging programsfor Win 7/64bit?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by iws, Sep 12, 2010.

  1. iws

    iws Guest

    On 9/9/2010 4:48 PM, Smarty wrote:

    > I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
    > versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
    > and the user interface to be cluttered.
    >
    > Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
    > program out there to take the place of Acronis?
    >
    > In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
    > but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
    > had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
    > than I am willing to deal with.
    >
    > I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

    Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can get
    your hands on a copy.

    iws, Sep 12, 2010

  2. iws

    wilby Guest

    On 9/12/2010 1:17 PM, iws wrote:
    > On 9/9/2010 4:48 PM, Smarty wrote:
    >>
    >> I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
    >> versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
    >> and the user interface to be cluttered.
    >>
    >> Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
    >> program out there to take the place of Acronis?
    >>
    >> In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
    >> but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
    >> had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
    >> than I am willing to deal with.
    >>
    >> I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.
    >>

    > Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can get
    > your hands on a copy.

    Acronis True Image Home ver 2009 will work very well with Windows 7-64
    but only if you update the Acronis to build 9809.

    When updated, a user can open image files and copy files that way, etc.

    Build 9809 is a free update to TI 2009 so getting set up is easy if you
    already own ver 2009.

    I am using ver 2009 build 9809 and have no plans to upgrade to 2010 or
    anything else until I'm forced to.

    Don't forget to make a new boot CD when you update TI.

    Wilby

    wilby, Sep 13, 2010

  3. iws

    wilby Guest

    On 9/13/2010 7:27 PM, Smarty wrote:
    > wilby wrote:

    >>> Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can
    >>> get your hands on a copy.

    >> Acronis True Image Home ver 2009 will work very well with Windows
    >> 7-64 but only if you update the Acronis to build 9809.
    >>
    >> When updated, a user can open image files and copy files that way,
    >> etc.
    >> Wilby

    > Thanks Wilby,
    > And can I also assume that ATI2009 can also do backups in a Windows 7
    > 64 bit environment? I want to not only "open image files, copy files,
    > etc." but also have the full set of backup capabilities. My build of
    > ATI2009 cannot do backups of Windows 7/64 bit, and I got the impression
    > (perhaps the wrong impression) from the Acronis and other websites that
    > ATI2009 cannot do backups in Windows 7/64 bit.

    Smarty:

    What you mention was correct until build 9809 was released. I was
    surprised that Acronis released this update because they were already
    promoting version 2010.

    My desktop runs Windows 7-64 and my Acronis 2009 build 9809 does perfect
    images and restores them as well, I always restore to a blank hard drive
    to prove to myself that I'm safe in an emergency with a crashed hard drive.

    Be very careful with win 7 images. Some (not all) installations have a
    small "reserved" 100 MB partition that must be backed up, and also
    restored as the active partition. Restore that one first as active
    partition and then your normal "C:" partition.

    Note: I have not tried to use 2009 to do "clones" so I don't know it
    that will work on win 64.

    You can search the Acronis forum for related information.

    http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acr...ce-products-discussions/acronis-true-image-ho

    Don't expect much help from Acronis help tools such as calling them or
    even their staff answering forum posts. Fortunately there are
    knowledgeable users that post there.

    Wilby

    wilby, Sep 15, 2010