Re: Advice on Buying a new Computer

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by John Smith, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    As stupid as it sounds but a game coming out in November or later might need
    a video card which does not even exist today!

    That happened a few times with various versions of Quake. I remember
    ordering one version along with a mate and we both had to order the latest
    3DFX card with Open GL at the same time.

    If the game is the reason you are upgrading I would wait until it comes out
    personally. You may find many current cards do not work with it.

    J.

    "The Berzerker" <> wrote in message
    > ah, that's a pretty good point. I guess I should wait then...
    >
    > You'll hear from me at christmas!
    >
    > --
    >

    > The Berzerker
    > By Nature's Hand, By Crafts, By Art, What Once Was One, Now Fly Apart!
    > "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > > The Berzerker wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello. I've recently been pushed to buy a new system by the prospect

    of
    > > > Half-life 2. I'm wondering if you guys can help me out...
    > > >
    > > > Do you guys have any recommendations as to which on-line stores to buy
    > > > from? I'm looking for pretty fast components for the cheapest prices
    > > > around.
    > > >

    > > Wait. Since these games are 6 months away, much will change between now

    > and
    > > then and what is "bleeding edge" now will be "discount" parts then.
    > > Especially AMD chips as their prices drop like a rock about 3 months

    after

    John Smith, Jun 22, 2003